Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet being used by a computer that is OFF?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Melodias

Melodias

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:49 PM

The title says it all. First off, is that even possible?

And now to get into the details.

Every so often when one of my computer's is off(totally powered down) my entire internet lags(ping lag) on every other device. According to Networx software during all these instances there is a constant 20 kb/s upload happening on my connection(this is something never shown when the incident is not occurring). Upon checking the logs of my router page during the times networx is showing the upload it shows several ip's connecting to the ip of one of my devices(the computer that isn't even turned on) I should also note that it has done this once when the computer was simply asleep and not powered down. The 20 kb/s constant upload that is lagging the net instantly stops upon waking/turning on the computer.

The computer's OS is Windows 7 and I have run multiple virus scans and malware scans with Malwarebytes anti-malware.

Can someone tell me if I'm misreading the data and it's actually something else or if this is really a possibility and how to fix it.

I apologize in advance if this isn't posted in the correct location. I literally just signed up on this site a minute ago to post this. :P

I also apologize for the lack of hard information such as screen shots and logs. I will be working on getting that stuff together.

Edited by Melodias, 11 January 2016 - 02:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dev00790

dev00790

Bleeping Chocoholic

• Members
  • 5,037 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 13 January 2016 - 04:55 PM

Hi

Does your computer have wake-on-LAN enabled in its BIOS?

Regards, dev00790

---------------------------------------

Marge: "Homer, the plant called. They said if you don't show up tomorrow don't bother showing up on Monday." Homer: "Woo-hoo! Four-day weekend!"I do not reply to Private Messages (PMs) asking for assistance - please use the forums instead. If I have been helping you, and I have not replied to your latest post in 48 hours please send me a PM. My Blog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users