Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How should I set up my fans?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Magnarider

Magnarider

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:12 PM

I am asking for opinions on how I should set up my fans. For my case I have  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811235036  The case is fitted with a cooler   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181089  The cooler is set up to pull air in from the outside in a push pull setup. The cooler blows air into the case. At the moment I have 1 fan in the top set as exhaust it is a   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811998128  The front fan is an intake fan it is the factory installed 120mm blue LED Zalman fan, it pulls air in and pushes it past a hard drive it also has alot of cables to get through. My MSI Gaming 7 board has a MSI GTX 970 mounted to it. 

I have ordered a side panel for my case and I am considering cutting a hole in it to mount another fan. I will cut the hole in the transparent window. I have ordered these fans http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835345070     http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608048    

I am unsure how I should mount these fans. I was thinking of putting the Noctua in the front as an intake the noctua will replace the factory installed Zalman fan. The top Apevia exhaust fan will be replaced with the Bit Fenix fan and will be changed from exhaust to intake. The Corsair cooler will be unchanged and be left to pull air in to the case through the radiator. There will be no exhaust fans and it will vent through the PCIe grill slots in the back under the GTX video card and in the top there is a spot where a 120mm exhaust fan could fit but the spot is left empty. Im hoping that positive pressure from the intake fans will provide enough pressure to rid the case of heat.

I also have the idea of cutting a hole in the transparent window to add another fan if it is needed.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Anyone know of a way to make a smoke machine? That would let me see how my air is traveling.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,759 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 11 January 2016 - 03:52 PM

When I set up fans in a case, I like to set them up so the air is flowing in from the front and bottom of the case and flowing out from the rear/top of the case. If theres a side fan over the GPUs, I like it blowing in as well. 

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 11 January 2016 - 04:52 PM

Hot air rises, so any fans at the top of the case should be exhaust fans - so that they are assisting the natural convection, not fighting against it.  

#4 Magnarider

Magnarider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 05:04 PM

So it sounds like I should lean towards my front fan as intake, cut a hole in my side panel and mount 1 in there as intake, My Corsair cooler will be mounted in the rear and pulling air in. I will mount 1 fan in the top as my exhaust. I have vents in the bottom but my PSU covers half of it so if I do mount 1 on the bottom it will have to be a smaller fan and I will have to find a way to rig it and secure it to my case. My case is only a mid tower and that really hurts me. If it were a full tower I would have many more choices and options.

Thanks

#5 Magnarider

Magnarider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 05:06 PM

check out this vid they have removed there exhaust fans.

#6 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 05:20 PM

I've never used liquid cooling, but I would have thought that the Corsair liquid cooler should be arranged to be extracting air from the case, as any air being brought into the case should be as cool as possible. You are blowing heated air into the case which doesn't seem right to me. (Traditionally all fans at the rear of the case have been exhaust fans,)  

Edited by rqt, 11 January 2016 - 05:21 PM.

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,759 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 05:33 PM

Liquid cooling may follow different rules, I've never messed with it. With air the front should be intake, if there's a fan on the bottom it should be intake and any on back and top should be exhaust. That case looks to use 120 mm fans so I doubt the op will need one on the side, in fact it may make things worse. I would wait and see what my temps are under load before cutting any holes in the side.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#8 Magnarider

Magnarider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 05:39 PM

http://www.corsair.com/~/media/Corsair/download-files/manuals/cooling/Hydro_Series_H80i_GT_QSG.pdf  Here is pdf of the installation instructions. Go to step 3 and you will see that Corsair recommends installing it as an intake. So I installed it as the instructions said.

#9 Magnarider

Magnarider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 05:40 PM

I need a smoke machine but I dont want to buy one lol.

#10 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:11 PM

Well if Corsair recommend that you do it that way then who am I to disagree??

#11 Magnarider

Magnarider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:25 PM

Yep thats what I thought lol

#12 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,759 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 09:09 PM

If they recommend that then follow those. If the instructions say to put the radiator with the fans blowing in (which makes sense you want the coolest possible air hitting the radiator) then you can reverse the flow of the air-intake through the back exhaust through the front, or if you have top fans have them as exhast, while the radiator and the front/bottom fans blowing in, or actually if you can mount the radiator on the top blowing in while back being the exhaust, may work to doesnt hurt to experiment to see what works, I would still hold off on cutting a hole in the side panel, something tells me if your liquid cooling the CPU you wont need to, the three major sources of heat in a computer are the PSU, the CPU, and the GPU. The PSU in that case is bottom mounted so that means its sucking cold air in from underneath and blowing it out the back, so it shouldnt run hot at all, and with liquid cooling on the CPU its going to run wicked cool, so the only real source of heat is going to be the GPU-and I suspect your not going to need a side fan to handle that.

Edited by the_patriot11, 11 January 2016 - 10:53 PM.

picard5.jpg

#13 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 06:23 AM

The idea of exhaust at top and rear because heat rises isn't a major concern.  It would be if you weren't moving volumes of air through the case, but when you use multiple fans, you're moving the heat rapidly and with large volume flow (the above video of the Silverstone case is a good example...their top fan is an intake!).

The basics are to have a slightly positive case pressure (to keep from sucking dust in through all the little nooks and crannies around the case) and prevent exhaust fans from working against each other.  You could get "extreme" and try to seal up those nooks and crannies, but it's not really necessary.

Filter the intakes (there's lots of alternative filter media other than buying "special" filters for your case...panty hose works well, for example).

The idea is to try to control the flow through the case so as much cool air as possible is making it to the key components while the entire flow in and out of the case is as efficient as possible.

Of course, part of the trick too is to move as much air mass through the case as you can without it sounding like a jet engine sitting next to you.  Larger diameter, slower spinning fans are the answer, but what you can use will depend on your case.

#14 Magnarider

Magnarider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 09:11 AM

I ordered some Noctua and BitFenix fans.  The Noctua moves 158 cfm and 7.67 mmH2O SP The BitFenix moves 122 cfm and 2.88 mmH2O but I may order another Noctua or maybe even a Delta fan. I found a Delta fan that runs at 5k rpm pushing 478 cfm with 27.88 mmH2O but its extremely loud it is a 120 or 140 mm fan i think.

#15 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 09:23 AM

EEK!  that Delta would be incredibly loud!

Put a hair dryer on your desk and turn it on high...if you can live with that, you might be able to handle that delta, lol!.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users