Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

older games: stick w/XP or 8.1?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mac29

Mac29

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 11 January 2016 - 11:11 AM

I play older games. System is really old. I use different drives vs. dual boot, and use 7 Pro for programming, etc. Would there be any drawback to sticking with XP for gaming (on another drive) vs. 8.1?

I only have 2GB of ram on this thing (don't think it's worth it to get more). Will 2GB ram hamper gaming if I run 8.1 (32b) on my game drive?

Thanks,

Mac

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ExJan

ExJan

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 11 January 2016 - 11:20 PM

I play older games. System is really old. I use different drives vs. dual boot, and use 7 Pro for programming, etc. Would there be any drawback to sticking with XP for gaming (on another drive) vs. 8.1?

I only have 2GB of ram on this thing (don't think it's worth it to get more). Will 2GB ram hamper gaming if I run 8.1 (32b) on my game drive?

Thanks,

Mac

It depends how old the games are. There are some really old games that only works with older versions of windows os. If you could get them to work on windows 8.1  you will be fine.

What are the games anyway?

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 13 January 2016 - 10:57 AM

Some older games tend to have problems on newer hardware regardless of OS due to how the game is coded.  For instance, some games from the 1990's have issues with current processors and run too fast.  Games such as this may need an emulator like DOSBox to run.

GoG.com sells old games, wraps them in DOSBox, and preconfigures the emulator settings so they can run on modern hardware and operating systems.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users