Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows update loop

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jeannot18

jeannot18

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 11 January 2016 - 11:10 AM

I did a new install of Windows 7 on my new SSD. It was working fine until today when some Microsoft updates were supposed to get installed, I got the never ending Windows update message telling me not to shut down the computer. After a while (a couple of hours) i held the power button and the computer will get back to the same stage, could not logon on safe mode, or not even the prompt screen. So i rebooted with my Windows 7 disc in, and manage to do a restore from January 8.

Once logged on, I went to windows update and here on the update history, I can see a lot of failed update (see attached screen shots please). What shall I do to solve this problem please

Thanks

J C

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 11 January 2016 - 11:26 AM

Please download and run the Windows Update Troubleshooter.

Clicking on the link above will start the download automatically.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 jeannot18

jeannot18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:57 PM

Clicking on the link above will start the download automatically.

Thanks will do tomorrow when i get back home

J

#4 jeannot18

jeannot18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 05:30 AM

Clicking on the link above will start the download automatically

This is what I got when i run it (see screenshot), so hopefully everything should be sorted next time the Windows update runs, thanks a ton!!

J

Attached Files

#5 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 07:02 AM

Install IE11 & latest IE11 Cumulative Security Update and latest Windows Update Client manually before running Windows Update... it's still S-L-O-W but you'll get there. Also don't let 200+ updates attempt to install at one go: go to your Update settings and select "Check for Updates but let me choose..". as pictured below (expand spoiler)...

Spoiler

...then install groups of about 25-30 at a a time trying to keep similar software like .Net Framework, Security Updates, Non-Security Updates etc. in separate "batches"

IE11 offline installer: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/internet-explorer-11-for-windows-7-details.aspx

IE11 Cumulate Security Update:
32bit: https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=81f05c56-cd19-4824-87e1-b096e5bcbeca
64bit: https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=42bd0e8b-ad73-4018-b287-e0b352747390

Dec 2015 Win Update Client: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3112343

Also add Microsoft.com to Ex-PLODE-r 11 "Compatability View" sites:

Spoiler

Edited by Union_Thug, 12 January 2016 - 07:19 AM.

#6 jeannot18

jeannot18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 07:13 AM

Install IE11 & latest Windows Update Client manually before running Windows Update... it's still S-L-O-W but you'll get there. Also don't let 200+ updates attempt to install at one go: go to your Update settings and select "Check for Updates but let me choose..". as pictured below (expand spoiler)...

Spoiler

...then install groups of about 25-30 at a a time trying to keep similar software like .Net Framework, Security Updates, Non-Security Updates etc. in separate "batches"

IE11 offline installer: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/internet-explorer-11-for-windows-7-details.aspx
Dec 2015 Win Update Client: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3112343

Also add Microsoft.com to Ex-PLODE-r 11 "Compatability View" sites:

Spoiler

Do I have to install IE11? I never use IE, I use Firefox or Google Chrome

#7 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 07:21 AM

Do I have to install IE11? I never use IE, I use Firefox or Google Chrome

Win Updates uses the IE engine AFAIK, updating to 11 helps IMO. Also see my previous post was edited w/instrux to install

>>>Important!! IE11 Cumulative Security Update.<<< Important!!

HTH :)

EDIT: See Windows Update wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Update

>>>Windows Update requires Internet Explorer or a third-party web browser that uses Microsoft's MSHTML layout engine, as it must support the use of an ActiveX control to house the software that is executed on the user's computer. While details have changed from version to version, it has always scanned the computer to find what operating system components and software are installed, and compared the versions of those components with the latest available versions. The ActiveX component then executes the downloaded installation files in their silent/unattended mode to install or update those components, and to report the success or failure of those installations back to Microsoft's servers.<<<

Edited by Union_Thug, 12 January 2016 - 07:56 AM.

#8 jeannot18

jeannot18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2016 - 09:22 AM

This is the latest i got from my Windows update (see screen shot and error message from the Troubleshooting tool, should I worry about anything? thank you!!

J

Attached Files

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2016 - 10:02 AM

The following excerpt is from a article found at askvg.com.

"WindizUpdate" is a plugin which allows users of Mozilla Firefox, Firebird, Opera, Netscape and K-Meleon to update their Windows using Microsoft Updates. You simply need to install the plug-in and then open windizupdate.com in your browser. Now you can scan for new updates and install them without IE.

There is one caveat, if you wish to download updates from the Microsoft Updates website you will have to use Internet Explorer.

Something else you should keep in mind is the fact that Microsoft no longer supports most of the earlier versions of Internet Explorer.  For this reason you should have the latest version installed.  Updates for Internet Explorer address functionality issues, but the most important aspect is includes security updates.  Without these updates your IE browser could be a potential security issue.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 jeannot18

jeannot18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2016 - 10:17 AM

Hi DC3, I have currently IE11 installed, but it still does seem not to install every single update listed, if I, for example, click on "checking for update", it just scan for a long time but nothing shows to be installed, could it be because I am up to date? If you look at my previous posts with screen shots, there are quite a few uptade (KB[..]) that are showing as "failed". Thanks

J

Edited by hamluis, 14 January 2016 - 09:38 AM.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2016 - 10:48 AM

Have you tried the WindizUpdate plugin?

Have you tried using IE11 to get the updates?

Have you gone to the Microsoft Download Center and tried to manually download these updates?

#12 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:10 AM

Have you tried the WindizUpdate plugin?

Have you tried using IE11 to get the updates?

Have you gone to the Microsoft Download Center and tried to manually download these updates?

In addition to the above excellent suggestions, I suggest running:

1)  SFC /SCANNOW Command - How to Repair Windows 7 System Files with System File Checker

2)  System Update Readiness Tool (SURT) - Fix Windows Update errors by using SURT

Download the appropriate version (32bit or 64bit) of the SURT for your version Windows, and save the file to your Desktop. Double-click on the file to install it.  Let it run uninterrupted. It may appear to freeze or hang, but this is perfectly normal. If it hasn't finished after a few hours, then something's not right.

HTH :)

#13 jeannot18

jeannot18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2016 - 04:51 PM

OK guys, latest update. I finally managed to install all the updates that were there, it took a long time for windows update to do it but it came through at the end. Thanks for all the help, I will keep all your links for future problem (...), i am pretty sure that things will reoccur.

J

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users