Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems configuring Cisco access point

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stanyewest

stanyewest

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 11 January 2016 - 05:38 AM

Hello all,

I'm new here so hoping that someone can point me in the right direction. We have recently purchased a Cisco WAP 121 with the intention to extend wifi to the other end of our house (to our home office) where the connection is currently patchy to say the least. I've managed to configure the AP and get it working as a wifi point but it is on a seperate network so you need to log on with new credentials depending on which part of the house you are in. I understand that I can change the configuration so that it forms a single network with my central Sky router but i've no idea how - any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:28 PM

Here's your manual
http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/csbap/wap121/administration/guide/WAP121_321_AG_en.pdf

You will note page 90 says you can't do a WDS network unless you use Cisco equipment. You won't be able to have the sky routers wifi in a Wireless Distribution System which is the configuration that allows you to seamlessly move between wifi APs.

#3 stanyewest

stanyewest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:34 PM

Oh no, thanks for the info. Looks like I was given duff information when I bought the AP :-(

Can you recommend any other APs that would provide this functionality?

Thanks for your help!

#4 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 12 January 2016 - 10:19 PM

stanyewest,

I think you are looking for this.

Cheers,

packetanalyzer