Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows says there is nothing on disk

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 11 January 2016 - 01:05 AM

I have some DVD's of family that were on video tape, they play on my TV but not on the computer. I put the disk in and the computer tells me it's blank and ready to be written to. I want to copy the video off the disk, but I can't seem to find anything that will recognize there is something on there.

Can anyone help me out?

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 11 January 2016 - 01:16 AM

Can you try the Disc in another Pc or Laptop to eliminate the Dvdrom being faulty / if ok then copy it to USB etc.

Also do any other dvds play ok on the  Computers dvdrom.

Or open a Program eg: VLC Player or WMP and open the disc from there and see if it plays.

I would say the disc is OK as it does play on the TV - so probably the dvdrom.

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:34 AM

Yeah, I've done that. It won't play on my desktop, which has Win7, or at work with my laptop which has Win10. Same with both puter's, shows as a blank ready to be written to. Other things play on the DVD drives (regular movies) and on the puter's. I don't have VLC but windows media player says the drive needs a disk. I'll get VLC and see what happens.

Just downloaded VLC, nope, does not see anything on the disk...

Edited by Wildabeast, 11 January 2016 - 02:50 AM.

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:42 AM

Uhmmm ? Have had , years ago  , files burnt to disc on one burner out of alignment and not able to play on others , but played ok on the original dvdrom.

Unless someone else has any ideas i can only suggest , if it plays on the TV -  OK , then try and record it from there , if you have a PVR  or TV external outlets and back to a PC with a Capture Card.

#5 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:31 AM

Havachat, thanks.

I think I could record it off the TV, my DVD also does VCR, but I currently do not have any VCR tapes or any way to play them on my computer. I'll think that over, see if I can come up with something besides buying another VCR for the computer.

(The one on the TV is a tangled up mess when it comes to the wiring)

Ronald Reagan

#6 violetrose

violetrose

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 13 January 2016 - 02:55 AM

Did you record the DVDs from VHS tape > DVD on your VCR > (DVR)  DVD recorder? At the end - did you finalize the discs? If yes, then they should play in your computer and/or any other DVD player. If no, then you need to put them back into the same machine you used to record them to finalize the discs. 

NB: Hopefully you still have the handbook for your DVR with some instructions about finalizing discs -  :)

#7 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2016 - 01:44 AM

Finalizing only restricts more Data being added once the Disc is Closed.

If the disc is not finalized it should not have any impact on the playing of the the files allready there IMO.

#8 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2016 - 02:49 AM

I didn't make the discs, they belong to my step daughter. I don't know who made them. She has a Mac laptop and they won't play in hers either.

I have my book on my DVD player, I'll look in it to see if there's any info I may have missed.

Thanks to all for the ideas!

Ronald Reagan

#9 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:01 PM

In case anybody was wondering, I found the problem. My step daughter made the DVD's on her old VHS to DVD player. She's never heard of 'finalizing' the disc. So I did that for her, all's good now. :clapping:

Ronald Reagan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users