Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using USB-SATA Adapter, System Sees HDD, Assigns Letter, Then Stops

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jaybeebrad

jaybeebrad

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 10 January 2016 - 10:26 PM

I am using an HP Pavilion dv6 running Windows 10.

I have retrieved a 500GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue HDD from another Windows laptop. This is the main hard drive with the OS installed.

When still in that laptop, the computer won't boot up at all. It brings up the very first screen for about five seconds, and then the entire laptop powers down, then repeats infinitely.

I am using a Apricorn brand USB to SATA adapter to read the HD externally. The adapter works and is working properly, having tested with another drive.

When I plug the adapter in, the drive spins up almost immediately a "G" partition appears in "Devices and Drives" on my laptop. This partition is labeled "System Reserved" and is 100MB in size with no data on it.

A minute or so later an "H" partition appears, but that's the extent of it. A green loading bar starts at the top, fills, and just sits there loading. If I try to click on the H drive to open it, a spinning wheel appears and it seems to try but nothing happens. If I right click on the drive and click properties, nothing comes up.

If I try to open Disk Management while the disk is plugged in, the window opens but it just hangs at "Loading Virtual Disc" but won't open up.

I attempted to run ChkDsk from the dos prompt. When I type CHKDSK G: it says it finds no problems. When I type CHKDSK H: it just hangs there (surprise surprise.)

At this point I don't know what to do and I'm in a panic to salvage the data from this drive. Any help is deeply appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 10 January 2016 - 10:59 PM

The signs are not good. It's not surprising that a drive which causes a system to power off at boot cannot be successfully accessed using a USB adapter.

Depending on what type of fault the drive has suffered, it may be possible to gain some access with a diagnostic utility, if not and the contents are vital and valuable, professional recovery becomes the only option. However even then, if the problem is caused by the platters' magnetic coating failing, there's really nothing that can save it, the data is gone.

My go-to utilities in this situation are TestDisk or MHDD, if neither of these have success I consider professional recovery the only option. You can also assess the drive with Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostic.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

http://hddguru.com/software/2005.10.02-MHDD/

http://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx

Edited by Platypus, 10 January 2016 - 11:02 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 jaybeebrad

jaybeebrad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:17 AM

Well, I'm trying to use TestDisk and it just hangs on "Please Wait" when I try the first step, similar to everything else I've tried. I'm afraid HDDGURU is beyond my comprehension - I'm not even sure how to install the program.

My confusion is - if a drive was completely dead, it wouldn't spin up or even recognize partitions, right? So there has to be some kind of hope.

Something I've noticed is that if I unplug the drive, suddenly and briefly an "H" folder DOES open up, but it says that the drive can't be located.

When I unplugged the drive while TestDisk was running with the "please wait" up, AFTER the drive was unplugged, it brought up info for the G and H drives, including the drive size for drive H. So that means it DID discover/recognize the H partition, but for whatever reason it wouldn't show me what it found (similar to everything else that finds the drive.)

So I plugged it back in with the H option still up in TestDisk and now I am using the Analyze utility which seemed to be working. However it got to slightly past this point and then froze:

ELNg7bA.png

So...this is pretty bad I guess. :(

Edited by jaybeebrad, 11 January 2016 - 06:24 AM.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:51 AM

So...this is pretty bad I guess.

Yes, looks like it. The fact that the drive operates electronically, spins up, responds normally to its instruction set, finds some partition information but throws data errors that lock up access pretty much means it's gone. The symptoms indicate to me that most likely the data surface is damaged, and recovery by software cannot do anything about this. Whether a professional data recovery service can depends on the nature and extent of the damage. Nothing can be recovered from an area where the magnetic coating is missing/degraded or has been damaged by head strike. Controlling the drive directly in a lab might enable recovery of some data from the drive if it is important enough, but the process is expensive.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users