Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

since upgrading to win10, sleep doesn't work

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 etech0

etech0

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:05 PM

Hi!

This issue has been bothering me for some time, and I finally got around to asking for help.

Basically, since I upgraded from 8.1 to Windows 10 (back in August), sleep doesn't work. If I put my laptop to sleep, or if it puts itself to sleep, it gets stuck in limbo. The power button is lit up, but there's no way to wake it back up. The only way to get it back awake is to hold down the power button until it turns all the way off, and then turn the laptop back on.

This is annoying because the whole point of sleep is that when I turn it back on, my windows/programs should still be open.

Does anyone know of a way to fix this? Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:59 PM

Click on Search....type in Power & Sleep .....open the settings......then under related settings, click on additional power settings.....

Proceed to change the settings for the power plan you have there.....I have a custom plan....and while it is not totally bulletproof......it is as good as I can manage with Windows 10....(which is a beta program...)

Click on change settings....and simply work your way through the available settings there according to what you need/want.  There are lots of choices....to numerous to list here.

It may even be a good idea to set a restore point before you start.  Type in Restore point....and follow the prompts.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 etech0

etech0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 10:18 PM

Thanks for answering. However, that is not the problem. I can set up the laptop to never go to sleep, but sometimes I want it to sleep. If I click Start > Power > Sleep, it looks like it's going to sleep, but then there's no way to wake it up without holding down the power button to turn it all the way off, and then pressing the power button again to turn it on.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 11 January 2016 - 01:21 AM

This would have to be a system problem...as opposed to an incorrect setting....

I would be doing a system reset.

Reset your PC

Resetting lets you choose whether to keep your files or remove them, and then reinstalls Windows. To get started, go to Settings > Update & security > Reset this PC > Get started and choose an option.

Note
  • If you can't open Settings, you can get to reset by restarting your PC from the sign-in screen. Press the Windows logo key 851aefc6-d9e7-41b6-a160-2a5e45499b33_17.+L to get to the sign-in screen, then hold the Shift key down while you select Power 5a774598-9041-49c1-ac51-955242b27bd4_50. > Restart in the lower-right corner of the screen. After your PC restarts, select Troubleshoot > Reset this PC.

If you can't get to the sign-in screen, use a recovery drive or installation media to reset your PC.

Option What it does

Keep my files

• Reinstalls Windows 10 and keeps your personal files.

• Removes apps and drivers you installed.

• Removes changes you made to settings.

• Removes any apps your PC manufacturer installed. (If your PC came with Windows 10, apps from your PC manufacturer will be reinstalled.)

Remove everything

• Reinstalls Windows 10 and removes all your personal files.

• Removes apps and drivers you installed.

• Removes changes you made to settings.

• Removes any apps your PC manufacturer installed. (If your PC came with Windows 10, apps from your PC manufacturer will be reinstalled.)

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 evagrius

evagrius

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:20 PM

Why call it "reset" when it is a re-installation of windows?

My little, old laptop (HP Pavilion) will go to sleep and wake back up just fine.  But then, after 5 to 7 minutes it spontaneously restarts itself, no matter what I'm doing or not doing!

This began, not with upgrade, but just since the last update (to version 1511?)

I posted my complaint on the Microsoft windows 10 support forum but got no response.

By the way, my wife was using a Dell laptop, a pretty well-equipped one and not that old, that she gave up on because it became unusable since upgrading to Windows 10.  I got her data off of it and it's just sitting there unused now.  I figured I would do a clean install, but I don't understand how that would differ from the "reset" described above.  Is one better than the other?

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:58 PM

I don't understand what you mean laptop wont sleep but some how you are trying to wake the laptop from sleep power mode. It sound like laptop goes to sleep but it wont wake up is this the issue?

Posted Image

#7 etech0

etech0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 10:59 AM

So it actually does the same thing whether I try to shut down the laptop, or put it to sleep. It goes into a state where the screen is off but the power button is lit up (as if it was sleeping). However, pressing the power button does not wake it up. The only way to wake the computer up is to hold down the power button until it's all the way off, and then press it again to turn it on. (That means that if I left any programs open, they will be closed when I turn on the computer.)

Also, while the computer is in that state, the battery drains, which is very annoying.

I'd appreciate any advice you could offer. Thanks!

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:06 PM

When you are powering of laptop you could be putting it to sleep or hibernation mode it depends how power button configured.  You can disable hibernation within Command Prompt by typing powercfg  /h off command to re-enable the hibernation you can type powercfg /h on command.

Make sure to install latest version of graphics card driver.

A lot of things can keep your computer from going to sleep, like downloading a file, opening a file on the network, or even a disconnected printer with an open job. Luckily, Windows have an easy method for finding out what the problem is.

For Windows: Go to Start > Programs > Accessories, right-click on Command Prompt, and open it as an administrator. Then type:

powercfg -requests

It'll let you know if anything is keeping the computer awake.

Posted Image

#9 etech0

etech0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:25 PM

Thanks for answering.

I'm not using the power button to turn it off - I'm using the start menu. Both Sleep and Shut Down are not working.

I ran

powercfg -requests

and here's what I got:

7PlIXVy.png

Would any of that keep the computer from shutting down or going to sleep?

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:29 PM

You can disable each of these devices one by one until you find the one that is waking up the computer. In either case, head into your Device Manager by holding down the Windows-key + R and enter devmgmt.msc. In the Device Manager, search for the the device in question, right-click it and select “Properties”. Then simply switch to the “Power Management” tab and uncheck the box for “Allow this device to wake the computer”. : The same result can be achieved with the command line tool. . Make sure to start the command prompt with administrative rights and enter:

powercfg /devicedisablewake “[devicename]”

You should also check to see keyboard and mouse configure to wakeup the system as you are having issue waking up the system.

From Device Manager found keyboard and mouse devices right-click it and select “Properties”. Then simply switch to the “Power Management” tab and place a check mark in the box for “Allow this device to wake the computer”.

Edited by FreeBooter, 02 March 2016 - 05:31 PM.

Posted Image

#11 etech0

etech0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:24 PM

Thanks for answering! I just ran powercfg -requests and got nothing this time.

I checked the keyboard and mouse settings, and both are set to Allow this device to wake the computer.

Anything else I can try?

#12 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2016 - 02:05 PM

Yes you can install latest version of graphic card driver and chipset driver if the latest version of graphic card already installed then it could be buggy install previous version of the graphic card driver.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users