Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

replacing pc

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 10 January 2016 - 05:21 PM

Heres my pc specs,about only things that might usable are the 1TB HDD WIN7 OS 64BIT,PSU and my understanding is i can move OS to a new PC by calling MS to get authorization to move it or just  buy a PC already built with WIN 10 and add WIN7 OS is this good plan,thanks

Operating System
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
    Windsor 90nm Technology
RAM
    4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 375MHz (6-6-6-18)
Motherboard
    Dell Inc
Graphics
    Panasonic-TV (1920x1080@60Hz)
    1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 (EVGA)    121 °F
Storage
    931GB Seagate ST1000DX 001-1CM162 SCSI Disk Device (SATA)    101 °F
    465GB Western Digital WD My Passport 0740 USB Device (USB (SATA))    88 °F
Optical Drives
    TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653A SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
    NVIDIA High Definition Audio

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:20 PM

Last I checked Microsoft considers the motherboard the actual computer, and if you change motherboards you have to purchase a new license, at least with a OEM license. With a retail license I believe you can move it computer to computer as long as its only on one computer, so its all dependent on what kind of license you have.
As far as usability your optical drives should transfer just fine, and your PSU is all dependent on what kind of psu it is, how powerful it is, and what kind of new system your building.

Keep in mind if your on a budget often times you can update the bios and slap in a phenom quad core into that am2 socket, up to the 945 I believe.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:32 PM

HI, the_patriot11,I seen on some of these PC'S that updating the bios can cause some problems,the PSU that i added was a 500watt PSU.

Now when it comes to possibility of replacing the processor you mentioned putting in a quad core i am not sure as to where to search for it will look on internet and see what i can find,thank you

#4 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:48 PM

HI,I have checked on updating the bios in my dell e521 and it appears there a lot of problems when trying to update the bios so i think i will leave well enough alone and pursue upgrading the processor as i checked what you said about going as high as the 945 also if i do that i can improve my GPU also thanks for the info.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 03:54 PM

most AM2 boards will not support the 945 without a BIOS update. In theory you can update your GPU as long as your have the appropriate PCI_E express slot and proper power supply, but if you are limited on a dual core CPU, it might not be worth it, might just go fresh from the ground up.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#6 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 05:37 AM

OK,This is where i am at on the DELL E521.

I would like update the bios,but have never done this before can you lay out what i need to do,also the mobo in this pc is not the original mobo as the mobo that came with it went bad so it is a newer mobo.

I have a external HDD for as i understand it is best to a do backup before going into the bios,but if what you say that the 945 may not work out.

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 10:03 AM

Well we can get into this but keep in mind the 945 while being ba good CPU is still an older one, so I would really only do it if your on a very tight budget.

First before we worry about updating the bios let's make sure your board is compatible with a newer style processor. What specific motherboard do you have? If you don't know download and run speccy and post the results

picard5.jpg

#8 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2016 - 10:32 AM

HI,This what i got off of Speecy.

Motherboard
    Manufacturer    Dell Inc
    Chipset Vendor    NVIDIA