Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrade ASUS F554LA-WS52 laptop screen

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 imagine909

imagine909

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 10 January 2016 - 04:45 PM

Hello,

I have the ASUS F554LA-WS52 laptop as seen here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232601R

I am looking to upgrade to the screen to a 1920x1080, glossy, IPS version.

My current screen is 40-pin and can be seen here: http://compvarietyplus.com/screen.jpg

The similar model ASUS F555LA has the same graphics card (Intel HD Graphics 5500) and has a 1920x1080 screen so I am confident mine should be able to display that as well. Not sure about the IPS aspect of it.

Also most of the screens I've seen are 30-pin and I am okay with replacing the cable but will need guidance in picking out the correct one if I go that route.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 10 January 2016 - 05:08 PM

Unfortunately, it is more complicated than that. In a traditional standalone monitor, there are two main parts to the monitor: The panel, where images are displayed, and the controller board, which translates the signal from the graphics processor into commands the panel can understand. In a laptop, the controller is typically integrated into the motherboard. Unfortunately, different panels typically need different controller boards. Sometimes a controller board can drive more than one kind of panel, but even then they are limited to a specific set. In order to upgrade the display, you would have to not only find a 1080p panel of the exact same dimensions as your current panel, but also ensure that it is compatible with the controller. If you are adamant about proceeding with this plan, you will have to contact Asus and request a list of panels compatible with your laptop. If they are willing to give you this information, reply here with the list and we can get started.

Best of luck,
Scáth
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 imagine909

imagine909
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 05:30 PM

You seem to be making this way more complicated than it needs to be:

For starters it's a 15.6" screen so the matching of the exact size screen is as simple as making sure it's the same size and that the connector is in the right spot.

As far as if the screen will work or not how about the good old plug it in and try it method?

The tricky part to me is finding the proper 30-pin cable to use, instead of my existing 40-pin cable, that will carry the 1920x1080 signal if the screen is indeed a match.

And as I stated in my original post, the very similar ASUS F555LA has the same integrated graphics card (Intel HD Graphics 5500) and runs 1920x1080 out of the box.

Edited by imagine909, 10 January 2016 - 05:31 PM.

#4 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 05:40 PM

Unfortunately I am not overcomplicating it. I have put together my own panel-controller combination before and finding a matching board for the panel I have required several hours of combing eBay. Effectively you are doing what I did in reverse: You have the board (built into your laptop), but need to find an alternate panel that will work with it.

#5 imagine909

imagine909
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 05:48 PM

Okay so you're offering negativity with no mention of the cable replacement issue I mentioned.  Not sure of the reason for your post then since this is a forum looking for solutions.

#6 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 06:50 PM

Sorry, I forgot to mention the cable thing. You can certainly try it if you wish but I doubt you will be able to find one as, like most laptop components, such things are typically proprietary and low volume. I'm not trying to be negative, rather I am trying to prevent you from spending more money than you have to. Do you already have a panel or panels you wish to test on hand? If so then my point was invalid and you can certainly try the "plug and pray" method. I still highly recommend trying to get a compatibility list from Asus though, as I have never tried to plug a panel into a controller it was not designed for, and it is possible it might cause damage.

#7 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,366 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 08:00 PM

Okay so you're offering negativity with no mention of the cable replacement issue I mentioned.  Not sure of the reason for your post then since this is a forum looking for solutions.

I would strongly disagree in that we have at least come here to help. There is a difference between saying it as it is and negativity. If you are looking for a soapbox rhetoric then go try the speak easy, and good luck with "plug and pray"!

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#8 imagine909

imagine909
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 08:37 PM

Well it wasn't "said as it is", so let's be clear about that. The responder even went on to agree with me that it could work and admitted forgetting to respond about the cable.

And as far as "looking for soapbox rhetoric" how about getting a dictionary and learning the proper use of the words and also realizing they don't even apply correctly to your made up scenario.

#9 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:41 PM

I responded that there is a chance, a very small chance, that it might work. I even mentioned the possibility of damage from it. I still strongly recommend that you get an Asus rep on the phone/email and try to figure out what panels that laptop supports before spending your hard-earned $$ on a chance that, from my understanding, has a fairly low chance of working.

I responded with skepticism and suggested that you gather data before proceeding because of my personal experience with repairing my clients' laptops and from my personal experience with a related, but different problem. If you have more experience than I, I will defer to your judgment. However I assumed that you posted this because you lacked experience in this area (which is not shameful, by the way) and wanted a second opinion. I gave my opinion on your proposed solution, outlined in simple detail the problems I saw with it, and suggested an alternative. You don't have to accept the alternative, but I feel that you should at least consider it. We grow by considering other points of view.

Ultimately I am happy to speak if you are willing to listen. I would appreciate it if you would avoid jumping on people's replies though as it makes me feel like you didn't want help, but rather confirmation bias before you attempted this.

Please understand I am not angry or, in fact, emotional at all in this conversation. I'm simply trying to save you money and time. I also apologize if I misread your emotions as I am a very emotionally cold person and have trouble conveying or interpreting emotions through written word.

#10 imagine909

imagine909
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:46 PM

This isn't the "save my money and time forum", I am quite capable of managing that on my own.  It is a tech forum where I am looking for answers to what I asked.  I'll worry about the expenses and the time it takes to apply the attempts to do what I am trying to do on my own.  If you don't have answers then don't respond, it's really that simple.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 06:57 PM

Enough.

The OP has a right to post a scenario and seek advice.

The OP does not have the right to evaluate whether or not such advice is what OP desired to hear, OP does not have the right to post negative comments which, ultimately, work against the stated goal of obtaining advice/suggestions.

None of us (human beings) is perfect...few of us are willing to and capable of regurgitating responses which a given OP "expects."

That's how the forums operate...on a volunteer basis where members donate their time and energy...to try to provide something useful to a member obviously seeking "help".

If the OP wants answers in the manner that he/she might receive if paying someone to specifically troubleshoot an issue...I remind the OP that none of the members who respond to your or any other posted topics...are hired employees and they cannot be held to unknown "standards" that might be appropriate if the OP had taken his auto in for repairs and was dealing with a paid technician whose employment skills are certfifiable, respected, and usually incapable of being questioned by paying customers.

We have no paying customers here at BC...we have no employees.  We have members who try to share and assist each other.  None of them...may be "experts".  Some of them...may be "experts" about some things.  None are "expert" at everything.  If someone makes a comments that you find...less than expert...the simple way of dealing with such here at BC (where many of us don't claim that our "answers" are THE ANSWER...is to just ignore the post and move on.

I suggest that you read the forum rules for a clear understanding of the basic things that are expected here...of all members.

Louis

#12 imagine909

imagine909
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 06:59 PM

Whatever GOD...piss off to your little forum...

#13 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 12 January 2016 - 08:56 PM

hamluis said what needed to be said. The only thing I can add to that is this topic is closed.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 12 January 2016 - 08:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users