Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer will not turn on after socket zapped

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 DualWielder

DualWielder

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 04:24 PM

My computer was on and i had the power cord in the top socket in my room and a extension cord in the socket below it. I had the monitor and phone chargers. I plugged in another phone charger that i was going to use with an xbox one controller to play with and the computer turned off and i saw a flash and the socket zapped. I smelt a gross burnt smell coming from something and i noticed a small hole in the power cord that i havent noticed before. The computer would not turn back on. I dont know what to do can someone help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 10 January 2016 - 04:55 PM

1. Replace the power cord immediately. If there is a hole, an electrical fire could start if you're not careful. Assuming that you have a desktop PC, the power cords are standardized so you should be able to get a replacement cheaply.
2. Disconnect everything that is not essential (phone charger, whatever might be plugged into the same wall panel).
3. Attempt to restart the computer. Report back with your results.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 DualWielder

DualWielder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 04:56 PM

Ok ill do that

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 10 January 2016 - 04:56 PM

The computer should be the least of your worries right now. You should immediately unplug everything from the wall. Which power cord are you referring to that is burnt? Computer cord, Extension cord what? Sounds like a cord shorted and/or was hanging out the wall socket. Both the cord and wall socket is probably destroyed. I suggest not to plug anything in it. Call a electrician immediately for that.

As far as your computer goes, you should of haved a surge protector for your computer. Now it sounds like your computers PSU was the sacrificial lamb and is now blown or fuse inside is blown. Don't attempt to open it. The voltages inside are lethal. So you should take it to the pc repair shop.

#5 DualWielder

DualWielder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 04:59 PM

The extension cord was burnt previously the sockets still work and are not burnt i unplugged everything after it happened

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 05:08 PM

What are you running on the extension cord?

#7 DualWielder

DualWielder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 05:11 PM

Phone chargers and the monitor

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 05:15 PM

Was your extension cable a two prong with adapter, three prong? Is the wall outlet 2 or 3?

#9 DualWielder

DualWielder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 05:16 PM

Three prong two outlets

#10 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 05:22 PM

So your extension cord that fried is a 3 prong plugged into a three prong wall outlet?

#11 DualWielder

DualWielder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 05:39 PM

It wasent fried i called in an electrician and he found me a new power cord and now my pc works again thank you

#12 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 10 January 2016 - 05:43 PM

Be careful... If the power cord has rated limits (1000W, etc) make sure to never exceed them or you risk more sparks and a fire
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#13 DualWielder

DualWielder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 05:43 PM

Okay thank u very much

#14 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 05:44 PM

Sorry for all the questions, but I am trying to appertain the situation so that you don't burn your house down. This is what you want plugged into your wall...Here. Then if you need electronics plugged to it you use Shorty extension like this...Here. This is so large wall-wart adapters etc can fit. If you need an extension then you can get longer ones. Anything plugged into it has a $15,000 guarantee. You never want to put a heavy load on this stuff like a heater. A heater will almost saturate a 15amp circuit. Don't use cheap junk like this and put a heavy load on it and keep chaining off it....Here. OK? The monitor should and can be plugged directly into the surge protector power strip as with the pc. Any heater or whatever needs to be plugged directly into the wall. Preferably on it's own circuit.

Edited by technonymous, 10 January 2016 - 05:47 PM.

#15 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 05:48 PM

Good luck to you be safe. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users