Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Ubuntu? I'm Going To Learn Ubuntu? The Matrix Runs On Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 03:41 PM

Personally I quite like Windows XP, but I still love this video, and since many people with old bogged down XP machines tend to replace it with Linux I thought I'd share the link, as it is good for a few laughs.

Link:

Alternate Link:

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/3722767/the-matrix-runs-on-windows

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,798 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 03:49 PM

Thanks for that. I never saw that before.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 10 January 2016 - 03:56 PM

Learn Ubuntu.

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,088 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 10 January 2016 - 07:34 PM

That was good thanks HF!  Did not like the Morpheus character(sad) but the rest was quite good.  Looks like they spent a lot of time with that,  Love collegehumor.com

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 05:53 AM

LOL Good one!  :lol:

Greets!

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 14 January 2016 - 05:07 AM

Learn Ubuntu.

Or Linux Mint, which XP users may find more comfortable learning. :thumbup2:

Many didn't want to go to Windows 8 or 8.1 because of the highly changed UI, and if their computers wouldn't run Windows 7, out of luck. I say it's depends on what the user prefers, though my guess is that most will want a somewhat familiar environment. Then later may want to further explore. 

Out of the 30+ Linux converts I've had to my name, now closer to 40 with two converts this week alone, after a demo on one of my notebooks that's a triple boot (Windows 7, Mint 17 & Ubuntu 14.04), only 2 chose Ubuntu in 3-4 years, and guess what? Both were Windows 8 users who liked the UI. Other Windows 8/8.1 users didn't like it & wanted a traditional Linux. Back when I began with Linux, even Ubuntu had a traditional Start Menu, which appealed to both Windows & Mac users wanting an easier way. When it comes to Unity, whereas some may feel that many Linux versions are Windows copycats, it was the reverse with Windows 8, the OS was made to look similar to Ubuntu with what at first was codenamed 'Metro', then finally 'Modern UI' near release. 

So when I first meet an XP user wanting to move to safety, though I show both OS's, all has chosen Linux Mint. Though I could have stripped the Unity UI with a couple of Terminal commands, chose to show it in it's true form, because if they downloaded the next version & created a bootable DVD or USB stick, there would have been 'sticker shock' by meeting Unity. I'd rather be upfront than make cosmetic changes, and let the user decide on their own which to install. 

After all, they're on Linux & to me, that's what counts the most. One way or the other, there's going to be some form of a Start Menu, no matter the OS. Even Puppy (the last that I ran which featured an Opera browser) has what appears to be a much earlier looking Windows style Start Menu. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 12:12 AM

Back when I began with Linux, even Ubuntu had a traditional Start Menu, which appealed to both Windows & Mac users wanting an easier way. When it comes to Unity, whereas some may feel that many Linux versions are Windows copycats, it was the reverse with Windows 8, the OS was made to look similar to Ubuntu with what at first was codenamed 'Metro', then finally 'Modern UI' near release.

-REF:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/601884/ubuntu-im-going-to-learn-ubuntu-the-matrix-runs-on-windows-xp/#entry3908653

Gnome2 was my favorite desktop-environment. If it were viable, I would still be using it every chance I got. I was very surprised to see MS make the same mistake as Canonical. Canonical can survive those kinds of mistakes because they have multiple derivatives offering different desktop-environments, MS doesn't, but survives because for many there is no alternative. The Gnome developers and to some extent Canonical, are the Linux world's equivalent of MS.

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 05:12 AM

I was very surprised to see MS make the same mistake as Canonical.

As was I, Microsoft had a 28 month jump on this & still went with basically a Unity copycat in the Modern UI. The lead developer over the Windows 8 project, Steven Sinofsky, was shoved out the door just two months after the release (& the fallout), and was an employee of Microsoft for 23 years, at the time close to half of his life. For a man who was born is 1965, this mugshot shows that Microsoft rode him hard. The departure was described as a 'mutual agreement' between the two parties, yet most of us knows that that means: 'Resign or be fired'. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Sinofsky

That's why changes were made fast when he left, and now Windows 10, though loaded to the gills with spyware, no longer resembles Windows 8, rather Windows 7 with a new roof thrown on, and the computer runs as such because of it. 

BTW, I also enjoyed the video! :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users