Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Amazon 1Button App - How do I remove it

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kaah02

kaah02

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 10 January 2016 - 02:49 PM

I can't uninstall this stupid app. I've tried everything. Revo & some other malware removal tools and nothing has worked. It doesn't appear in the programs list (control panel) but it appears on ccleaner & revo but they both failed to uninstall it. There's a folder on programs files called amazon but I haven't deleted it. I thought that I had uninstalled it after clicking on it with the right button and selecting uninstall but it won't go away ( I mean, it doesn't appear on that list anymore but I can still see it on cclear and stuff)

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 10 January 2016 - 05:21 PM.
Moved from Win 10 to 'Am I infected?'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 10 January 2016 - 05:06 PM

As this is an app, maybe you can locate it on the app screen and right click on it.

There should be an "uninstall" option there.

I've also seen it listed in the Control Panel...Programs and Features - can you see it there?

DO NOT randomly delete stuff.  It can easily render the system unbootable.

Rather, rename the file extension to .BAD (you can add it to a folder also).

After a while of not needing it, then you can delete it.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 kaah02

kaah02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 05:14 PM

As this is an app, maybe you can locate it on the app screen and right click on it.

There should be an "uninstall" option there.

I've also seen it listed in the Control Panel...Programs and Features - can you see it there?

DO NOT randomly delete stuff.  It can easily render the system unbootable.

Rather, rename the file extension to .BAD (you can add it to a folder also).

After a while of not needing it, then you can delete it.

I can't. The only place I can see is on CCleaner -> Tools -> Uninstall

When I click Uninstall it says: another version of this product is already installed (and some other stuff)

When I click Delete it says : cannot delete msi installer

I've tried to reinstall it so I could uninstall it but it keeps saying the same thing "another version..."

It doesn't appears on my browsers though

#4 kaah02

kaah02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 08:52 PM

so I decided to do some experiments on my own and it solved the problem. I went into windows\installer folder and moved all folders and files that had something to do with this app to another folder, nothing changed, then I found it's installer (in the same folder) and I installed it, after that I ran iobit uninstaller it and the app was removed for good from the ccleaner list. I haven't deleted the files, they're still on my computer but in a different folder. I was wondering is it safe to delete them? I didn't touch the other folders or anything that didn't contain the same numbers of the folder the files were in.

Edited by kaah02, 10 January 2016 - 08:54 PM.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 05:39 AM

Which folders are you referring to?

The safest thing to do is to rename the folders and then reboot to see if the system works OK.

If it does, then leave the folders alone for a week (just in case) - and see if there are any problems for a week.

If not, it's probably safe to delete them then.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 kaah02

kaah02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 08:45 AM

Which folders are you referring to?

The safest thing to do is to rename the folders and then reboot to see if the system works OK.

If it does, then leave the folders alone for a week (just in case) - and see if there are any problems for a week.

If not, it's probably safe to delete them then.

folders:

{5095145F-A690-405A-9ABF-69C7A7319834}

{EBCCD2B7-FCA9-4714-97A4-CBC48E544BB2}

Inside both folders there was this file:

amazonIcon.exe

These files were found inside windows\installer:

SourceHash{5095145F-A690-405A-9ABF-69C7A7319834}

SourceHash{EBCCD2B7-FCA9-4714-97A4-CBC48E544BB2}

wix{5095145F-A690-405A-9ABF-69C7A7319834}.SchedServiceConfig

wix{EBCCD2B7-FCA9-4714-97A4-CBC48E544BB2}.SchedServiceConfig

125be

1a20a

(both say "this installer database contains the logic and data required to install(...)")

I moved everything to another folder and I ran one of these two shown above.

I was able to reinstall the app. After uninstalling the app, Iobit performed a 'deep clean' and removed the entries in the registry.

Then I ran ccleaner so it could delete the remaining stuff and the only thing left in the win\installer folder was one of the two files (I can't remember which one)

and a folder in program files with these two files:

Amazon1ButtonRuntime.dll

Amazon1ButtonService64

I've also moved this folder to another location in case things go wrong. 

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:50 PM

Found it at work today.

Amazon (actually the OEM) placed a DLL in the root of the C: drive!

This was a Dell laptop w/W8.1

Look here:  C:\AmazonAppIE.dll (delete this one!)

Registry entry is at HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects

You can leave it/disable it/or delete it if you'd like (after deleting the DLL above)

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 05:24 PM

Delete the Amazon files (the last 2 that you mentioned).

They are a part of it - and those people at Amazon don't seem to want you to get rid of them.

#9 kaah02

kaah02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:30 PM

Found it at work today.

Amazon (actually the OEM) placed a DLL in the root of the C: drive!

This was a Dell laptop w/W8.1

Look here:  C:\AmazonAppIE.dll (delete this one!)

Registry entry is at HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects

You can leave it/disable it/or delete it if you'd like (after deleting the DLL above)

I couldn't find that entry. I think anything related to this app is gone now :) It doesn't appear anywhere but where I placed them.

Thanks for helping me!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users