Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best case fans

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Magnarider

Magnarider

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 10 January 2016 - 02:12 PM

Any ideas or suggestions on what are the best 120mm and 140mm case fans?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 04:58 PM

Define "best". Fans are either designed for performance or silence. Though a higher quality fan will both perform better and more silently than a cheap one, I still need to know what you want before I can make a recommendation.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 Magnarider

Magnarider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 06:01 PM

I am looking to buy and install new case fans in my case. I am going to buy 120mm or 140 mm Here are some fans im looking at.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks

I want to replace the 120-140mm fan in the front of the case. My case is a Zalman Here is a link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... The front fan will pull air in and push it past the drives in to the main MOBO area. Next I would like to replace 1 of the top exhaust fans in the top of the case.

Should exhaust be static or not static based?

#4 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 06:58 PM

High static pressure is for moving air in spite of high resistance, such as when up against a heatsink or radiator. Unless the exhaust fan is also cooling a radiator, then there is no need for high pressure... Unless it is exhausting into a tight area. I would focus on flow rather than pressure for those fans.

#5 Magnarider

Magnarider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 07:40 PM

I just ordered this for my intake fan that is near my hard drives https://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/accessories/spectre-pro-pwm/  I ordered the 140mm. Now I just need to find a good top exhaust fan 120 or 140 mm size.

So you think that for exhaust moving volume is more important than static?

Thanks

#6 WaltC

WaltC

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 08:22 PM

I've heard good things about these, never used them myself.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W03KG5877&cm_re=noctua-_-35-608-026-_-Product

#7 raymac46

raymac46

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 10 January 2016 - 08:53 PM

My Linux build has a Corsair AF120 Performance fan to exhaust out the back and a Bitfenix Spectre 120 intake fan. Both are excellent performers and keep things really cool.

#8 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:15 PM

My opinion on the 3 fans you showed:
First (Noctua): This brand of fan is known for silence. They are a fairly reliable fan, but lack some lf the raw performance of other brands. Since there will be little resistance, that is not a problem unless you want to keep your case really cool.
Second (BitFenix): These are fairly decent too. A few mixed reviews and I seem to remember hearing something about the bearings occasionally being clicky (don't quote me on that though). Not my first choice.
Third (Delta): These things have a reputation a mile high. They are probably the most powerful fans you can put on a computer but they are LOUD. Notice the noise rating? It's over 40 dBa. Even wearing headphones you might notice them. I would typically put fans like this on a radiator or CPU cooler, but they will certainly circulate the air in that case!

#9 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:17 PM

One more thing to note: It is generally better to have "positive pressure" - that is, more air coming in then moving out. Helps reduce dust buildup.

#10 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 08:19 AM

Noctua indeed are great fans.  No experience with BitFenix, but have also seen mixed reviews on them.

If you're up for a little more research, go read about the various types of fan bearings.  The type of bearing plays a surprisingly big role in sound. 

#11 Magnarider

Magnarider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 09:05 AM

I bought a Noctua and a BitFenix cant wait to see what happens

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users