Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

win 10 boot failure

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 1reclaimed

1reclaimed

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 10 January 2016 - 12:39 PM

Hp compaq running win 10 was running fine, but now won't load windows or even safe mode. I do get a blue screen message sometimes that reads BAD SYSTEM CONFIG any help thanks much Jack.

There was a storm and she said the machine froze also the HD is a Seagate and of course no backup

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 10 January 2016 - 01:11 PM

Can you get as far as the login screen? If so the click on the power button icon and select restart while holding the shift key. This will get you to the Advanced Repair Options. See if doing a System Restore works.

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 January 2016 - 01:11 PM.

#3 1reclaimed

1reclaimed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 04:37 PM

JohnC_21 thanks for your quick reply, this is what I've got when starting the machine HP splash screen options, when windows with timing circle and then message bad system config now and again I've made it to the advanced repair options, but they did nothing to help.

I've run the Sea tools (long test on HD) it comes back testing as good do you think the config file is corrupted and if so how does one go about checking it and making some sort of repair to it thanks

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 04:47 PM

I think Bad System Configuration is more than just a file, especially after going through that power outage. Under Advanced System Options does it give the option to do a Startup Repair? It may take up to three tries to finish the repair. There is also a Refresh Option. This would repair Windows 10 but all programs you installed would be gone. Windows Apps from the store and your personal files would remain. 

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2294-advanced-startup-options-boot-windows-10-a.html

If you cannot repair Windows 10 you can download the Windows 10 install iusing the media creation tool and do a complete reinstall after recovering your data. Would you be willing to do a complete reinstall?

#5 1reclaimed

1reclaimed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 06:06 PM

JohnC_21 I've gotten to the Advanced System Options doing the Startup Repair and also doing both of the Reset options plus the Refresh all did nothing to correct anything.

I've downloaded the media creation tool and then burned the iso image to a dvd earlier today just in case it was needed.

The quickest or easy way to grab and save her data any thoughts thanks much Jack.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 06:35 PM

You can use Puppy Linux to copy data to a USB flash or external drive. Download the Tahrpup iso here. Burn the iso and boot the disk. If this was a Windows 8 computer upgraded to 10 then you will need to disable SecureBoot in UEFI/BIOS and possibly enable Legacy Boot.

When you boot Puppy linux you will see your hard drive partitions labeled sda1...sda2...sda3 in the lower left desktop. For Windows 10 the Windows partition may be sda3. Click once on the icon and the partition will mount and a File Manager will open. If you do not see your Windows files then close the File Manager and click on another sdaX partition until you see your files/folders. Attach your USB flash drive or external drive. A USB icon will appear on the desktop next to the optical driver icon. Click once on the USB icon and another File Manager window will open. Drag and size the two windows until they are side by side. You can select files by Left Clicking while holding the Ctrl key. You can also left-click and window around the files/folders you want to copy. With puppy you only need to click once on a folder to open it. Drag your highlighted files from the sdaX window to the USB window. A small dialog window will appear. Select Copy and check the Quiet box.

Edit: Puppy runs in RAM and off the CD. Nothing is written to the hard drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 January 2016 - 06:38 PM.

#7 1reclaimed

1reclaimed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 08:39 PM

JohnC_21 Thanks for all your help in my quest getting her machine up and running and today all is well on this end with a working windows 10 computer. Once again thank you so much for your time in this matter Jack.

Edited by 1reclaimed, 11 January 2016 - 08:41 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 09:53 PM

Your Welcome,

Glad everything is up and running.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users