Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installation Maxtor 6l300r0 (xp)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 01mercy

01mercy

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 02:19 PM

Hello,

I have installed the "big drive" software from maxtor but can't install this drive via xp new hardware found. The installation gives an error at the point of driver searching.

I used maxblast 4. During the installation, xp pops up with "new hardware found". Cancelled it and let maxblast install the drive. The drive works.

Afther rebooting, the drive is not installed.

How can I make sure the maxblast installation is permanent?

Thanks,

Mercy

Edited by 01mercy, 27 July 2006 - 02:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 05:36 PM

You will probably find that the XP Windows install worked, however you needed to partition the drive in the Disk Manager.

Try uninstalling the Maxtor (Maxblast 4) drivers, then let windows automatically detect and install it. Once it has completed, go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management.
In the windows that opens, go to Storage>Disk Management. You should see the new drive appear in the right hand side of the window beneath any existing HDD.
Rigth click on the drive and select 'New Partition', and then just accept the defaults. Once it has finished formatting, your new dirve should appear in the Windows Explorer.

Sorry!!! Didn't read your post fully! :thumbsup:

It may be that it needs SP2 (like Enthusiast said)....

Edited by JPHarvey, 27 July 2006 - 07:42 PM.

[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 07:30 PM

Do you have SP2 installed?

Before SP2 there were limitations on what size disk
XP would register.

#4 01mercy

01mercy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2006 - 10:58 AM

I forgot to say that I have sp2 installed. The only thing I could find is that maxtor says that you need to boot from the maxblast4 cd and than install the harddrive. That I did and when I restarted, xp says "new hard ware found" WITH the code of the harddrive. But this is just a moment of a sec. Several seconds later xp recognises the new hardware as "general".
When I try to install it this way I get the error "disk.sys not found"

Mercy

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2006 - 06:27 PM

Use Maxblast to format the drive and create partitions if you want them.

Then shutdown, remove the Maxblast cd, and boot XP normally.

The drive should appear in My Computer, Computer Management and Windows Explorer.

Make sure you have set the jumper on the new drive to secondary (slave) and your primary drive set to primary (master)

(The ribbon IDE cable end goes to the master drive and the middle connector to the slave)

If you still have a problem afer doing the above, use the new ribbon cable that came with the new hard drive instead of the old cable that was in the computer

Edited by Enthusiast, 28 July 2006 - 06:31 PM.

#6 01mercy

01mercy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 04:54 AM

Hi,

I did all the above, but no succes. Finally I backedup my stuff and formatted the 2 drive with maxblast boot. Then I installed xp now it's working fine. Maybe my installation was not "stable" anymore.

The only thing that's a little problem now is that sometimes at start up (afther memory check and bios primary and secondary detection) I get a fail on the new harddrive. But when I restart I don't get a fail message. Can this be the cable?

Thanks,

Mercy

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 08:33 AM

Try replacing the cable.
It could be a bad connection - or something wrong with the drive.

Look in programs/adminstration tools/computer management/disk management

See if it shows the new disk as "Healthy"
Even if it does, you may have something intermittant worng - I have experienced that with a hard drive myself.

Go to Maxtor support and get their tools to test the hdd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users