Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Genius Needed

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 only126db

only126db

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:55 AM

I have a WNDR4300 router, I play online gaming on the Playstation 4 but when I come up against other players my shots do not seem to score but I get killed almost instantly (1-2 shots).

I am running wired and have forwarded all the ports associated with the game.

The real strange thing is that if I download a large file on my pc while gaming on the PS4 my shots score much much more and I dont die nearly as quickly.

I would think using bandwidth would have the opposite effect, but what it seems like is there is some sort of communication issue but the game seems smooth, no stutter or anything like that.

Does anyone have an Idea?

4984666317.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:21 PM

Your upload seems really low compared to your download. What rates down/up are you paying for? Might have Charter do a line and modem check to make sure there are no issues at that level.

#3 only126db

only126db
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:53 PM

I pay for 60D/4U, only other thing offered is 100D/7U...

#4 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 12 January 2016 - 10:17 PM

Are the duplex mode and speed on your router configured correctly? Some ISPs have specific settings that "auto" will not handle correctly. You might want to call Charter and confirm what your settings should be.

#5 only126db

only126db
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 10:43 PM

Are the duplex mode and speed on your router configured correctly? Some ISPs have specific settings that "auto" will not handle correctly. You might want to call Charter and confirm what your settings should be.

What exactly should I ask? It's going to be like pulling teeth since very few there know anything technical so I best have the correct wording for what I need...

#6 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 10:56 PM

You will want to ask your ISP what the duplex mode and duplex speed setting on your router should be.

#7 only126db

only126db
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2016 - 02:11 AM

You will want to ask your ISP what the duplex mode and duplex speed setting on your router should be.

Ok, will do it tomorrow...thx

#8 only126db

only126db
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2016 - 10:51 AM

As I thought....they have no clue and no settings they could advise me on....First they said it was a liability issue (idiots), then they said there were no settings they would adjust or some crap. I then said I dont need to know if there is anything you would adjust, I dont need any help on how to do anything, I just need the duplex mode and speed your company specifies. I ended the call there because they were as usual no help...

#9 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:13 PM

If you don't mind me asking, what is the name of your ISP? What are your current duplex mode and speed settings on your router?

#10 only126db

only126db
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2016 - 03:46 PM

If you don't mind me asking, what is the name of your ISP? What are your current duplex mode and speed settings on your router?

Charter Cable.....It actually looks like my router may be auto sensing only.... I cant even find it listed in my routers settings

#11 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2016 - 05:53 PM

How about the duplex mode and speed on your modem?

#12 only126db

only126db
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2016 - 06:59 PM

How about the duplex mode and speed on your modem?

It's their modem and I cannot get to those numbers, only the very basics like sn/ratio, power level and an event log if you can call it that (doesnt give much info)

Actually I found under interface parameters - speed Lan 1000(FULL)

Edited by only126db, 13 January 2016 - 07:00 PM.

#13 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2016 - 10:29 AM

Here is a how to:
https://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com/tips-tricks/ipconfig-all-how-to-get-text-output/

#14 only126db

only126db
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:21 AM

Doesnt show duplex either....

#15 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:32 AM

Wrong post of info.  Sorry.

Two ways to tell if at 1gig.  One is by the lights.  They will indicate if at gig or not.  Second is the router/modem setting.  You see the modem at 1gig.  On my dlink router under advanced network I have the "wan port speed" which in my case is set to 1gig from the default of auto.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users