Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron 620 won't turn on

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TrevorB206

TrevorB206

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 10 January 2016 - 05:06 AM

Hello everyone, I am a new member of the community here although I look forward to sticking around for a while. I am a current student and because of this I fill as much of my time as possible fixing computers of everyone I know in order to help me learn more as I go. But I got a problem with my own computer that is beginning to seriously frustrate me. I have never had a computer give me this much of a headache to the point I am considering just scrapping it which is unfortunate because it is by no means a bad PC. Okay so I have a Dell Inspiron 620 I purchased new back in 2012... About a year ago one day I was using my computer and the power randomly went out. Eventually the power came back on and my computer wouldn't start back up at all. No noise, no fans, no nothing imagine it wasn't plugged in. I switched outlets, I tried everyday for quite a while but I was pretty busy and never dove much further into it. One day I moved into a new apartment and decided to hook it up and see if I could fix it and it suddenly it worked and turned on just fine, after that it worked just fine for probably 6 months. Until a couple of months ago a storm hit where I live and the power was expected to go out so I shut down and unplugged my PC ahead of time to avoid this issue again. Then when the storm was over I plugged it back in and when I went to start it up and turn it on it wouldn't start all over again. I should also mention that during the 6 months it worked I shut it down and turned it on daily. It's only when unplugged or plugged back in apparently I don't know. I bought a new power supply thinking that would fix it, I installed it recently and it still doesn't turn on, I have read certain posts and tried unplugging certain items such as the front usb and Audio connectors that some people with this same PC have had success solving this issue. But none have worked so far. I am on here in desperation. ANY AND ALL HELP IS HIGHLY APPRECIATED. I apologize if I am posting something that has been posted before I used the search earlier but didn't find anything like this. I look forward to becoming a part of the community here. Let me know if there is any information I may have missed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TrevorB206

TrevorB206
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 05:11 AM

Oh yeah, also i wanted to mention that even the first day this happened when it won't turn on the little green light near the power supply and the amber light on the motherboard have always been on as well

#3 raymac46

raymac46

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 10 January 2016 - 08:09 AM

I had trouble getting a Dell to boot once because the CMOS battery was dead. Replacing this battery (usually a CR 2032) fixed the problem.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 10 January 2016 - 11:22 AM

What operating system are you using?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 TrevorB206

TrevorB206
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 11:32 AM

Ok I will check into the cmos battery. Also I am running Windows 7 on this PC.

#6 TrevorB206

TrevorB206
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 01:25 PM

Ok so I just now changed the cmos battery. I went to the store and bought a replacement I installed it and plugged my computer in and I immediately saw life in my computer again as my power button began flashing Amber blinking slowly. I have never seen that before. It appears to indicate a problem which I did upgrade the psu recently. But still I would say the fact that I am getting lights at all is a good thing. I just checked all the connections again and I'm gonna try again.

#7 raymac46

raymac46

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 02:28 PM

Usually flashing yellow power light means power supply or motherboard problem. Another thing to try is remove and reseat the memory.

#8 TrevorB206

TrevorB206
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 03:24 PM

Ok, so since I replaced the cmos battery I am still getting the blinking yellow Amber light on the front power button. Something that didn't come on before. It is a brand new power supply I recently installed hoping that would fix the issue. I have checked all the connectors a few times in a row. I have reseated the memory. And still continue to get the blinking light and it won't turn on. Not sure where to go from here. The orange light on my motherboard is on so obviously I am getting power, My fans don't start at all though not sure if that means anything, I also find it interesting that the yellow flashing light didn't happen until after I replaced the cmos battery. not really sure where to go from here

#9 TrevorB206

TrevorB206
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 03:52 PM

Ok so a little more information now, after a while of going nowhere I ripped out the new power supply and connected my old one again and to my surprise suddenly the system turned on, the fans began running, something that never happened before, even recently with the new power supply the fans weren't coming on, and I had it hooked up exactly the same. then suddenly the power button began flashing yellow/Amber again and the system began beeping 5 times which I looked up and that is for a cmos time error. Which is even weirder because the only thing that has changed is the cmos battery I replaced today without that the light wasn't even coming on.

#10 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 10 January 2016 - 06:18 PM

When replacing a CMOS battery go into the BIOS and correct the time and the time zone also

#11 Bewildered Bob

Bewildered Bob

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 11:57 AM

I've owned the 620 for a l-o-n-g time and have noticed that startup is a CHRONIC PROBLEM. All was well initially but then it would not start at all. The cheap plastic power-on button was replaced abt 5 times until i finally modified it to short the leads instead of pressing the button. That seemed to work well if the power cord had first been removed and the leads shorted together (possibly to discharge a capacitor). Altho this worked OK i decided to replace the shorted contraption with a metal toggle switch which worked well until today's failure. So it's back to shorting the leads in the power-on contraption. Once it completes the power-on process all is well again.

In my humble opinion this is a serious design flaw that apparently Dell won't fix. Dell used to make excellent equipment but apparently no longer. I'll never buy a Dell machine again.

Bewildered Bob

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:31 PM

The power button is a momentary type switch.  When you press the button it shorts the two header pins on the motherboard.  This in turn sends a signal to the PSU to initiate it start up.  If you were to remove the 24 pin PSU connector from the motherboard you can use a piece of wire to short between the green wire in the bundle and any black wire to start the PSU.  This is what pressing the power button does.

A momentary switch (your power button in this case) will continue to short the header pins as long as the button is pressed.  If the toggle switch you are using isn't a momentary switch you need to change it out for the proper type.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users