Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Resolution for online poker problem please help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 laakdown

laakdown

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 10 January 2016 - 04:22 AM

I recently bought a DELL 300WFPt 30" LCD Widescreen Monitor for playing online poker on because it has a resolution of 2560 x 1600 pixels fully expecting it to have an HDMI port which I could use to connect it to my laptop with but it doesnt. It only has  DVI or USB ports whereas my Laptop has HDMI or VGA ports.

So I bought a HDMI to DVI cable and got it all connected but when I go into setting from control panel the max resolution for the external display it will give me is 1280 * 800 which isnt good enough for me to play the multiple tables of poker I desire.

So obviously my question is what can I do? I assume a VGA to DVI cable wouldnt be any better? Ive searched around the net for hours trying to find solutions but am starting to worry I might have to buy a new computer with a DVI port on it, is this the case?

Last resort is I have a Macbook air as a personal computer which has a display port, would going from that to the DVI port on the monitor give me better resolution?

Thanks for your help!

Edited by laakdown, 10 January 2016 - 04:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 10 January 2016 - 06:12 AM

"Last resort is I have a Macbook air as a personal computer which has a display port, would going from that to the DVI port on the monitor give me better resolution?"

The first thing to check is that the Macbook air or the laptop are actually capable of producing the resolution you require. If not you will need to use a different computer. If the answer is yes then:-

Once you're dealing with video connection converters or converter cables then trial & error is the only way to really find out if something works correctly. So try a display port to HDMI connection on the Macbook & see if it works.

If the Dell monitor has a DVI-I connector & can use an analogue signal then a VGA to DVI-I cable should work OK with the laptop, but if it has a digital input only then a VGA to DVI conversion is unlikely to be satisfactory - either through lack of resolution or reduced video quality (as analogue to digital conversion is required). I've looked for full specs under the model number you have quoted but can't find any.

In both cases, the fact that one converter or converter cable doesn't work doesn't mean that a different one won't. So back to trial & error.................

Edited by rqt, 10 January 2016 - 06:12 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users