Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer Problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 renton_lawrence

renton_lawrence

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 01:59 PM

Hello,
When launching IE the window will load for a second or two, then immedietly die and shut down. I disabled the "Enable third-party browser extensions" option from the internet options menu, and that fixed the problem and stopped the browser from crashing. However, the real problem is that it has been doing this to computers on my workplace network all day. It has happened to four computers today, and i have disabled the "enable-third party browser extensions" option on all of them... but i don't just want a band-aid solution. The fact that it seems to be happening all over the network is what worries me. I have ran ad-aware, spybot and bazooka as well as a full virus scan on one of the computers that had the problem and it came up with nothing out of the ordinary. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Has anyone heard of anything similar happening to anyone else? thanks!
-renton

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 28 July 2006 - 12:01 AM

Just an idea:

I've heard of this happening with Netscape - when it was still Mozilla. In fact it happened to me. In this case, I was upgrading to a newer version, and I had uninstalled and deleted the old version. However, the new version would flash up on the screen then blink out. I then uninstalled the new version and reinstalled the old version and had the same problem. It turns out that Mozilla places, or at least used to place, a file into a folder that had no name connection with Mozilla or Netscape. This file and folder had to be deleted in order for the new installation or reinstallation to install properly. I'm afraid I cannot remember the file name.

I don't know if the same kind of thing could happen with IE. Did you upgrade it recently or maybe uninstall and reinstall it?

It is possible that some of the files of the browser are damaged or corrupted in which case perhaps an uninstall and reinstall might be in order, but I am just guessing here.

Orange Blossom
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users