Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shockwave Flash crash

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Everson11

Everson11

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:23 PM

Hi,

Whenever I enable flash, it screws up and freezes everything, no matter what... I have heard that flash is un-secure and shouldn't be used, but almost all the news sites and sports sites use it, so if I want to watch a video, I have to temp. enable it... Leaving it on is the wrong answer... Any hints??

I searched and couldn't find anything

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CrazyGaston

CrazyGaston

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 12 January 2016 - 09:34 PM

Hi,

Whenever I enable flash, it screws up and freezes everything, no matter what... I have heard that flash is un-secure and shouldn't be used, but almost all the news sites and sports sites use it, so if I want to watch a video, I have to temp. enable it... Leaving it on is the wrong answer... Any hints??

I searched and couldn't find anything

Thanks

Join the club!! I'm getting this exact same problem!! I posted about this on the official Adobe Flash forums:

https://forums.adobe.com/message/8361169

I also created a BugBase Report at: https://bugbase.adobe.com/

So far, I haven't had much luck. Have you tried disabling Hardware Acceleration in Adobe Flash?

#3 Everson11

Everson11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 07:57 PM

Thanks... I tried changing the setting in IE...

#4 CrazyGaston

CrazyGaston

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 07:08 AM

Thanks... I tried changing the setting in IE...

And have the crashes/freezing stopped?

#5 Everson11

Everson11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 11:32 AM

I just changed it last night... I'll give it a week... Normally, it would crash within an hour though

#6 Everson11

Everson11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 06:43 PM

Now, it's worse... I'm reversing the changes... You would think some other company would have a flash player that worked

#7 CrazyGaston

CrazyGaston

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 11:42 PM

Now, it's worse... I'm reversing the changes... You would think some other company would have a flash player that worked

What do you mean by "it's worse"? Do you mean the crashes are worse? Or do you mean the performance of Flash has degraded?

You would think some other company would have a flash player that worked

There was. It was called Microsoft Silverlight. Unfortunately, it never caught on, and Microsoft no longer supports it. Besides, now that HTML5 has come out, there is no need for Flash-like programs. For example, HTML5 is the default video player for YouTube. You are no longer required to have Adobe Flash installed to watch YouTube videos.

One last question: What display adapter do you have? To find out what display adapter you have, you click Start>Control Panel. From there you click System and Security>System. On the left side of the System page, you'll see a bunch of links. Click the link labeled "Device Manager". On the "Device Manager" screen, click the little arrow in front of the "Display Adapters" section. Post the names of all the display adapters listed.

#8 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 18 January 2016 - 12:06 AM

Do you have the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player?

What's your operating system?

Have you only tried Flash in Internet Explorer? What about other browsers, like Firefox or Google Chrome?

#9 Everson11

Everson11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 12:10 AM

What do you mean by "it's worse"? Do you mean the crashes are worse? Or do you mean the performance of Flash has degraded?

You would think some other company would have a flash player that worked

There was. It was called Microsoft Silverlight. Unfortunately, it never caught on, and Microsoft no longer supports it. Besides, now that HTML5 has come out, there is no need for Flash-like programs. For example, HTML5 is the default video player for YouTube. You are no longer required to have Adobe Flash installed to watch YouTube videos.

One last question: What display adapter do you have? To find out what display adapter you have, you click Start>Control Panel. From there you click System and Security>System. On the left side of the System page, you'll see a bunch of links. Click the link labeled "Device Manager". On the "Device Manager" screen, click the little arrow in front of the "Display Adapters" section. Post the names of all the display adapters listed.

It's choppy and blurry, to the point I couldn't watch anything on NBC or CBS sites...

It's Intel HD

#10 Everson11

Everson11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 12:11 AM

Do you have the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player?  Yes

What's your operating system? Win 8.1

Have you only tried Flash in Internet Explorer? What about other browsers, like Firefox or Google Chrome?  IE and Firefox are the same

#11 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 18 January 2016 - 01:53 PM

Did you try disabling Hardware Acceleration in the Flash Player settings?

#12 Everson11

Everson11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 09:10 PM

Did you try disabling Hardware Acceleration in the Flash Player settings?

Yes, that made it worse... Blurry, pausing etc... I'm going to call the internet company, they are supposed to provide 60mb, and I'm getting 38

#13 CrazyGaston

CrazyGaston

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:53 PM

It's Intel HD

LOL. No surprise there since I'm having the same problems as you are, and Adobe Tech Support already confirmed it was my Intel HD Graphics display adapter drivers. Chances are, it's the same with you as well.

It's choppy and blurry, to the point I couldn't watch anything on NBC or CBS sites...

they are supposed to provide 60mb, and I'm getting 38

Well, seeing as your internet is around 38-60 MB/s, we know that's not the problem. What processor do you have, and what is its clock speed?

#14 Everson11

Everson11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 11:10 PM

Celeron N2830 @ 2.16 Ghz

#15 CrazyGaston

CrazyGaston

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 11:49 PM

Celeron N2830 @ 2.16 Ghz

Well then, you should have more than enough power for your CPU to render Flash unless your CPU is loaded to the max with background programs.

See, what happens is this: when you disable Hardware Acceleration, you are telling Flash to send the data to be rendered to the CPU instead of the GPU. Although CPU rendering is much slower than GPU rendering, this shouldn't affect video resolution that much other than slightly slower buffering. As I stated before, I'm having the same crashes and freezes you are having; however, I've stopped them from happening by disabling Hardware Acceleration.

However, my Flash videos seem to work fine. I can watch YouTube videos in 1080p just fine. The only time I really notice degraded performance is when I'm playing Flash games. Yet you claim the videos are choppy and blurry.

I can explain the blurry. What is happening is the websites you are visiting are downgrading the resolution to 144p (not 1444p, but 144p which is the lowest resolution Flash supports). Why they are doing this, I don't know. Have you tried clearing your cookies and cache? (NOTE: this will log you out of all websites you are logged into).

I don't understand why the videos are choppy. If you have 60MB/s internet, then you have more than enough speed to quickly buffer a video. Especially if the websites are downgrading the quality to 144p.

The only thing I can suggest from here is visit Intel's website and see if they released a newer version of your graphics driver. Try installing that and see if that stops the crashes:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

NOTE: Make sure you download the correct drivers. Intel has scores of different display adapters, and they're all labeled "Intel HD Graphics". Make sure you only download and install drivers that are compatible with your specific display adapter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users