Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Mini lP....

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mrcaptainbob

mrcaptainbob

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 09 January 2016 - 09:58 PM

I have a Dell Mini Laptop running XP that I would like to do a factory restore on. All the directions I've found relate to pressing F11 at start up. The keyboard only goes to F10. What steps must I follow to restore it to original? Thanks for any help....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:36 AM

All the Dell Mini's I have looked at have 12 function keys. Can you post an image of your keyboard. Is this the Dell Mini 10?

#3 mrcaptainbob

mrcaptainbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 02:41 PM

It is a Dell Inspiron 910. I cannot post pictures. The key line showing the 'F' buttons starts with caps lock and finishes with enter with a s d f g h j k l ; between them.

The F's show in blue, as does the function button. There are other icons that are in blue that are accessible with the F button. No F numerical series above 10 show any where on this key board.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,991 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 03:09 PM

Open Disk Management. Do you see a Recovery Partition? 

I would first download Advanced Token Manager to a USB key and backup your Activation files. Unzip the program to a folder on your USB flash drive. Backup the activation files. They should be backed up to the folder you unzipped Advanced Token Manager to. Make sure the files are there before doing the factory reset.

See this Dell thread. Supposedly you can start the factory reset by searching for Winnt32.exe. Make sure you write down the key that was shown when your ran Advanced Token Manager.

#5 mrcaptainbob

mrcaptainbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:37 PM

Thanks for the quick replies, John. Two issues: I'm not too accomplished in what you're describing. I need to be talked down to. You won't hurt my feelings. I have rudimentary knowledge. The second problem is that there's hardly ANY room on this laptop, as there's almost a constant message of no room. In fact, I at one point signed up for remote assistance through the provider and the tech could not gain access. Defrag attempt says 11MB free space. Can I still go ahead and access that Winnt32.exe? As an aside, I always clean the disc and then run CCleaner before shutting it off. It helps....a little.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,991 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 10:14 PM

Download TFC here and run it. How much free space do you have after running TFC? Double Click Computer. Click on your C: drive and you will see free space in the left pane. Also, what is the size of the hard drive? It will be listed under total size in the left pane.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users