Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What parts of my computer needs upgrades?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 AbsurdAsian

AbsurdAsian

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 09 January 2016 - 09:47 PM

I got some money from the holidays and my birthday. I was wondering which parts of my computer needs some upgrading

GPU: GeForce GTX 650 

CPU: AMD FX-8120 Eight-Core Processor (3.1 GHz I think)

Memory: 8.00 GB RAM

Resolution: Both monitors are 1600 x 900

Storage: 1.25 TB

I'm not looking to spend a lot of money, I'm only fourteen, but I couldn't play a high-quality steam game so I got it refunded. Also, I play some games that it's fine with good resolution, but it lags on max. Just wonderin' what to get.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 10 January 2016 - 11:14 AM.
moved from Computer Gaming

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ExJan

ExJan

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 10 January 2016 - 11:07 AM

I'd start with the GPU. GTX650 is not enough for most modern games. Get GTX 970 or GTX980/ TI if you can.

Edited by hamluis, 11 January 2016 - 01:37 PM.

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,351 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 10 January 2016 - 12:40 PM

PSU? Radeon R9 380, 380X or 390 are good choices.

#4 AbsurdAsian

AbsurdAsian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 10 January 2016 - 01:09 PM

I'd start with the GPU. GTX650 is not enough for most modern games. Get GTX 970 or GTX980/ TI if you can.

Yeah I already knew that it was not enough for modern games. I searched the recommended specs for Fallout 4 and it says GTX 780. It's better in my price range than the GTX970, is it still good?

Edited by hamluis, 11 January 2016 - 01:35 PM.
Edited quotebox - Hamluis.

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,351 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 10 January 2016 - 03:40 PM

Used GTX780 for good price is OK. If need new card, then I recommend R9 series. GTX970 has only 3.5GB fast ram and does not support asynchronous shaders. It was advertised to have both but Nvidia simply lied.

Edited by hamluis, 11 January 2016 - 01:36 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#6 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 10 January 2016 - 04:42 PM

Which, along with AMD's pushes for open standards, are why I stick with team red these days. R9 290X can be found for ~$250 new. You could probably find an even better deal used, though I would be more careful about used AMD than NVidia, as the bitcoin rush was not too long ago, and AMD's cards were heavily favored as they excel in GPGPU tasks.

Edited by hamluis, 11 January 2016 - 01:37 PM.

Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#7 ExJan

ExJan

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 10:50 PM

http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=1858&gid2=880&compare=radeon-r9-290x-vs-geforce-gtx-780

R9 290x is definitely better that GTX 780. And don't buy used graphic cards, get a brand new one with a good warranty period.

#8 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:09 AM

http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=1858&gid2=880&compare=radeon-r9-290x-vs-geforce-gtx-780
R9 290x is definitely better that GTX 780. And don't buy used graphic cards, get a brand new one with a good warranty period.

Or a refurbished one.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#9 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 06:01 PM

Yea there are a few good sites that offer long warranty periods with refurb cards

#10 vershamittal

vershamittal

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 07:04 AM

You need a better processor with a high efficient and integrated graphic card to play the modern games. Also buy a new graphic card with warranty. Never get confused with low price used graphic cards because after a time of internal they start creating problem.

#11 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:17 AM

You need a better processor with a high efficient and integrated graphic card to play the modern games. Also buy a new graphic card with warranty. Never get confused with low price used graphic cards because after a time of internal they start creating problem.

A refurbished card won't necessarily cause problems.. if you get a refurb from a respectable place it can be even more reliable than a new card. You just take a risk.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#12 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:03 PM

A refurbished card won't necessarily cause problems.. if you get a refurb from a respectable place it can be even more reliable than a new card. You just take a risk.
They were talking about a used card, not a refurbished. Used caries a significant danger of having an issue or not working at all. Refurbished cards from legitimate sites have been inspected and - where needed - repaired. Some refurbishing sites even offer a warranty on the GPUs they sell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users