Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Not Genuine message, until refresh, then goes away.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Capp-Ware

Capp-Ware

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 09 January 2016 - 07:52 PM

I've been searching for this for a while. I attached a screenshot of a message that I see sometimes on the desktop. I've seen similar posts everywhere, but none of them seem to have the same issue I do.

It's the classic "windows not genuine" message. But, the difference is, if I open the System Properties, as soon as it refreshes the information, the message on the desktop goes away and the Genuine Software seal appears in the system properties. (see attachment)

I have done numerous scans with Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, Eset NOD32 (my primary antivirus) TDSSkiller, KavVirusRemover, Rkill, adwcleaner, spybot s&d and others I've forgotten about at this time.

All turned up nothing but maybe the random tracking cookie.

The message seems to come up at random and not all the time. Might go weeks without seeing it. Then 1 random day after playing a game, surfing the web, listening to music or any other numerous activities, I'll close everything out and there it is. So I open system properties, it refreshes, message goes away.

Any thoughts?

Attached Files

Edited by Capp-Ware, 09 January 2016 - 07:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 10 January 2016 - 10:48 AM

This could be the results of a lack of permissions.  Microsoft Support has two suggestion which may resolve this.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Capp-Ware

Capp-Ware
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 11:50 AM

This could be the results of a lack of permissions.  Microsoft Support has two suggestion which may resolve this.

I checked the permissions via the link you sent and could access the license just fine. No errors or permissions problems came up.

There is only 1 account on this computer too, the same one that's existed since the original install.

#4 Capp-Ware

Capp-Ware
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 12:47 PM

Anybody else have any ideas?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 13 January 2016 - 10:30 AM

Please download Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool.  Clicking on this link will immediately initiate the download.

When the diagnostic tool opens you will see a image like the one below.  Click on Continue.

mgadt1_zpssea2rxt2.png

Click on Copy, copy and then paste the content in your topic.

mgadt2_zpsbrkf74ab.png

If the Copy option does not work, take a screenshot of the content of the image and post that in your topic.

How to make a screenshot

1. Download and run A Thousand Words .

2. Follow the wizard to capture a screenshot

3. Use the built-in editor to resize, edit, or re-capture your screen shot. 

4. Your screen shot will be saved to your desktop when you finish the wizard.

You can post the screenshot in your next post as an attachment.  

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

BCreply1_zpsc36d42fc.png 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Capp-Ware

Capp-Ware
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2016 - 03:42 PM

Here is a screenshot of the results. I was able to copy the text just fine, but the forum wouldn't proceed when clicking "post" with the text in the box. I can provide more info if needed.

Attached Files

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 13 January 2016 - 03:49 PM

FWIW:  http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/233153-win-7-premium-activation-error-code-0xc004f063.html

Louis

#8 Capp-Ware

Capp-Ware
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2016 - 04:08 PM

Thanks for that link share Louis. When I ordered this computer several years ago, obviously it came with Win7 home OEM already installed. I only started seeing this message on the desktop in the past few months. I'm fairly tech savvy and spent a lot of time researching, validating, scanning for malware, etc... and always coming up empty. I'm not getting an error, per say. Just the message on the desktop, but as soon as I open the System Properties, it refreshes and pops up the Genuine MS Software Seal (See attached). Then the desktop message goes away and stays gone for days, weeks or even longer. Then somewhere down the road, it just randomly comes up again.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users