Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backdoor.XTRat virus?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 causio08

causio08

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 09 January 2016 - 07:47 PM

Hello my fellow bleepers,
My Windows XP ( yep! Still have one of those ) has been having booting problems since 2 days ago with a cmd.exe app error (0xc0000142). I get this error as I shut down the PC. Once I log in, and it takes a while, I get a pointer with an hourglass that won't stop. I was able to use safe mode in order to run malware byte and that's where this thing showed on the scanning results. I can't get anything done as this thing has slowed my PC to molasses speed. Is there anyone out there that has run into this issue before? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Happy New Year to you all....Mine has started on a bad note. Boo hoo! :(

Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dev00790

dev00790

Bleeping Chocoholic

• Members
  • 5,037 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 13 January 2016 - 05:02 PM

Hi

Computers that have Windows XP (as the main operating system) are no longer supported by Microsoft. MS is no longer providuing security updates for them.

I would advise disconnecting the computer in question from the internet immediately - since when connected to the internet Win XP is vulnerable! Like a submarine full of holes!

Use a different operating system that is supported by Windows is what I suggest. - See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/lifecycle

Edited by dev00790, 13 January 2016 - 05:03 PM.

Regards, dev00790

---------------------------------------

Marge: "Homer, the plant called. They said if you don't show up tomorrow don't bother showing up on Monday." Homer: "Woo-hoo! Four-day weekend!"I do not reply to Private Messages (PMs) asking for assistance - please use the forums instead. If I have been helping you, and I have not replied to your latest post in 48 hours please send me a PM. My Blog

#3 causio08

causio08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 16 January 2016 - 11:23 PM

Hi dev00790,

I knew that MS was not going to support XP after Win7 came out. I was just not sure as to what date.
I thank you for the information and will be looking to get a different OS.

#4 dev00790

dev00790

Bleeping Chocoholic

• Members
  • 5,037 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 17 January 2016 - 10:01 AM

Ok you're welcome :)

Regards, dev00790

---------------------------------------

Marge: "Homer, the plant called. They said if you don't show up tomorrow don't bother showing up on Monday." Homer: "Woo-hoo! Four-day weekend!"I do not reply to Private Messages (PMs) asking for assistance - please use the forums instead. If I have been helping you, and I have not replied to your latest post in 48 hours please send me a PM. My Blog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users