Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 01:45 PM

I have a Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport
and a Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller, and I don't know what they do. I think they are connected with my integrated Ethernet card.

Some stats. (See my profile for more computer info.):

I have a standalone computer.

I use dial-up and do not have the option of broadband connection at this time. I'm hoping to get DSL out here eventually.

I have in the past connected to a VPN.

I think this Broadcom stuff is for Intranet connections. Since I am not on an intranet, is it safe to disable these? I would not uninstall them. Are these used for VPN connections? If so, would they be used for a VPN connection if on dial-up?

Thank you,

Orange Blossom

Edited by Orange Blossom, 27 July 2006 - 01:45 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 09:34 PM

From my search on the net, it is your integrated NIC (for you local network) 10/100 being the data transfer speeds.

If you're not using it, I can't any harm in disabling it...
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2006 - 07:32 AM

I'm hoping to get DSL out here eventually

When you do you will need it. I am curious as to why you would wish to disable it.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• Topic Starter

• 36,962 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2006 - 08:19 AM

I'm hoping to get DSL out here eventually

When you do you will need it.

Aha, so Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller is used for internet as well as intranet connections?

I've been waiting for DSL for at least 2 years now. We're on the end of the line, and the last time our phones went dead, a 30+ year old line that needs replacing was STILL out there in spite of the order, over a year old, from the repair man to have it replaced.

I am curious as to why you would wish to disable it.

Because I keep getting an icon of a pair of computers with a red line through it showing up in my system notification tray with the message: "Local Area Connection: A Computer is Unplugged," so it is running in the background, or trying to, whenever my computer is on. Drives me buggy - not that I had far to go :thumbsup:

If you're not using it, I can't any harm in disabling it...

Given JPHarvey's response, I've gone ahead and disabled it, and that annoying icon with its persistent message has disappeared. :flowers:

Orange Blossom :trumpet:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 28 July 2006 - 08:25 AM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2006 - 10:39 AM

I'm glad you got resolution to your issue. But I want to add something here, mostly for the benefit of others who may read this thread looking for solutions.

Because I keep getting an icon of a pair of computers with a red line through it showing up in my system notification tray with the message: "Local Area Connection: A Computer is Unplugged," so it is running in the background, or trying to, whenever my computer is on.

There is a way to make this notification go away without disabling anything. In Windows XP simply go to:

Start > Control Panel > Network Connections > Network Connections

Here you will see icons that represent your internet connections, including the one that is not connected.

Right click on the icon > Properties

UNcheck the box next to: Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• Topic Starter

• 36,962 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2006 - 12:03 PM

Thanks for the info. Albert Frankenstein. I'll keep that in mind for when I do get broadband. By the way, the dial-up connections don't have that option; on the other hand they don't have that annoying icon either - maybe because it is not expected for the dial-up to be on all the time. :thumbsup:

Orange Blossom :flowers:

Orange Blossom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users