Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Interesting read on telemetry in the older systems.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:01 PM

Microsoft has always collected some telemetry and so have others.

At times they were even a little sloppy about it. LOL At least they did ask whether you wanted to participate or not.

Win 10 they really do not ask anymore, they tell you they are. Crash reports are necessary and I have never really found fault with that.  However there is some questions to some is that all they are collecting and who for.

To me it is a matter of principle. Assumeing that even means anything anymore. I really have no sensitive data on here and do not really care if anyone knows where I go and what I read or buy or wear or what foods I like to eat.

What does chap my asss is their belief that they actually have some kind of right to know without even asking.

EULA smulla.  There are some legal minds who are actually questioning is a Eula even legal. Does it really constituet a contract. Does a company even have the legal rite to impose a eula.

Not my mind I am no lawyer but I do know quite a few.  These are some of the questions they are asking themselves and looking into.

Sorry forgot the link https://duckduckgo.com/?q=windows+telemetry+isp%27s&t=ffhp

Edited by dannyboy950, 09 January 2016 - 03:02 PM.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 09 January 2016 - 04:07 PM

So you provided a link to a lot of search results in duckduckgo but I fail to understand what you are getting at.  Your spelling and grammar is also in dire need of attention.

#3 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 04:40 PM

If you would have bothered to read some of those links instead of worrying about my spelling and grammer you might have learned something.

Who died and made you the post policeman.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 09 January 2016 - 05:25 PM

From the forum rules -

There will be no posts meant to offend or hurt any other member, in a manner which is offensive or inflammatory. This includes flaming or instigating arguments.

Posts #2 and #3 can be considered offensive. Keep it polite or this topic will be locked.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 05:27 PM

EULA smulla. There are some legal minds who are actually questioning is a Eula even legal. Does it really constituet a contract. Does a company even have the legal rite to impose a eula.
Not my mind I am no lawyer but I do know quite a few. These are some of the questions they are asking themselves and looking into.

EULA have been around for ages, so agreeing to one is nothing new at all. Also, if you agree to an EULA and then realize that you aren't okay with it, legally speaking you are in fault and should stop doing whatever agreeing to that EULA allowed you to do.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 06:07 PM

I am not a lawyer so I can not bandy about whether or not a eula is even legal. Much like company policy some are seldom legal they only protect 1 party in a agreement.  As I understand it a law protects or restricts both parties not just 1 or the other.

I like Brians comparison to the internet and the old telephone companies.  I like even better an older analogy of the internet and the wild west where anything went.

Look out cowboys and indians the calvary is coming, and soon to follow law and order. God help us all.

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 08:56 AM

Have a heart.  By my count, there are 174 links!  Which of those should I read?  I am sorry but I honestly don't understand the what you are getting at.

#8 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:12 AM

Fair enough 2 & 4 are a good start.  I admit I just skimmed most of the rest just reading headers.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 11:00 AM

These are the 2nd and 4th links for me.

http://www.yro.slashdot.org/story/15/09/07/1845214/windows-telemetry-rolls-out
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-windows-telemetry-center

You can see how unrelated the 2nd link is to your discussion. Please post the URLs/links of the articles YOU want us to read that are related to your thread. No one here will get the same results as you on DuckDuckGo when we search for something.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#10 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 12:25 PM

My appologies again. I was unaware that the responses would change order. Every time I opened that link they were still in the same order except this time.

I now understand the confusion. If they move would a direct link to the article not change as well.

Perhaps it would be best to post the subject matter instead of a link?

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 02:11 PM

Just give us the URLs that led you to create this discussion topic, and then we'll read them and discuss afterwards.

unite_blue.png

#12 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 03:19 PM

These 2 I found of interest altho most had some information of interest concerning telemetry.

https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2014/03/20/instrumenting-your-app-for-telemetry-and-analytics/

http://community.websense.com/blogs/securitylabs/archive/2013/12/29/dr-watson.aspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users