Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Formatting A Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 shortyman

shortyman

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 01:33 PM

I have 2 questions.

1) I am working on one of my friend's computers and it starts up in MS-DOS. how do i get back to windows?

2) I am going to add a new hard drive to my computer. How do i format and partition it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 01:55 PM

I am working on one of my friend's computers and it starts up in MS-DOS. how do i get back to windows?

That would depend upon how it is booting to DOS now. Is there a floppy disk in the floppy drive? Perhaps removing it would let the computer boot to Windows (assuming that windows has been installed on the hard drive).

I am going to add a new hard drive to my computer. How do i format and partition it?

Can you be more specific? Is this going to be a second hard drive for storage of data? So you already have one hard drive with Windows XP installed on it? Etc. The more info the better.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 02:07 PM

Exit dos and reboot.

Are you saying it will not boot into Windows?
Make sure there is no floppy or cd in the drive/s

If you are adding a second hard drive (a slave drive), set the jumper on it to slave (or secondary - there should be a diagram on the hard drive case).
With the computer OFF, ground yourself somewhere on the metal frame, slide the new hard drive into place but do not screw it to the frame as yet, connect it to the middle connector on the IDE ribbon cable that your master hard drive is connected to, plug in the power cable, align it and install the screws on both sides.

Boot the computer.
When Windows finishes booting click on "My Computer"
You should now see the new hard drive (probably the "D" drive.
Right click on it.
Choose "Format"

Edited by Enthusiast, 27 July 2006 - 02:11 PM.

#4 shortyman

shortyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 02:11 PM

Windows has been installed on the hard drive. It's windows 98. accadentally posted in xp thread. srry. and there is no disk in the drive.

I am going to completely replace my old hard drive and do a fresh install of windows xp on it

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 02:22 PM

Do you have the software to set up the drive that should have come with the hard drive?

Do you have a new Windows XP retail version full installation cd (not an upgrade as you do not have an operating system installed to upgrade) that has never been used to install Windows XP on any other computer and the 25 digit Microsoft key number that comes with it (again - never used before on any other computer)?

Have you verified that the computer and all its hardware and peripherals are compatable and will work with Windows XP? - that there are XP drivers available for everything on it and that the motherboard will support XP?

Is your computer able to support Win XP
Get Step-by-Step InformationReview the "Getting Started" guide, which provides essential information on upgrading to and installing Windows XP. Remember to run antivirus software before you upgrade as described in this Knowledge Base article.

Check Your System Requirements

Make sure your computer is ready for Windows XP.

Make Sure Your Hardware and Software Are Compatible

Use the compatibility search tool or download the Upgrade Advisor to make sure your system, devices, and software will work with Windows XP, and install updates if available.

Get Step-by-Step Information

Review the "Getting Started" guide, which provides essential information on upgrading to and installing Windows XP. Remember to run antivirus software before you upgrade as described in this Knowledge Base article.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/up...ng/default.mspx

#6 shortyman

shortyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 02:33 PM

the computer has already had xp on it and everything is compatible. im just replacing my hard drive which already had xp pro on it. I have a xp cd with reg # and everything but my parents used it on his computer when he upgraded. Now I cant use it on my computer?

#7 shortyman

shortyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 02:36 PM

the above post is for my computer.

my friends computer i just want to get into windows. it has 98 on it and am not going to upgrade that one to xp. i just want it to boot to windows

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 02:42 PM

If the Windows XP Installation disk and the 25 digit key number that goes with it has ever been used and authenticated on any other computer it will not work on a second computer.

How was XP installed on yours in the first place? Where is the disk you used for that or did it come with XP preinstalled from a major manufacturer?

If it did, do you have a Restore disk from the manufacturer of your computer?

Is the old hard drive with XP installed and authenticated on it from YOUR computer still working?

Edited by Enthusiast, 27 July 2006 - 02:44 PM.

#9 shortyman

shortyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 02:49 PM

My computer huy built my computer and put xp on it for me. it was like a year trial version or something. it worked great! The hard drive still works in it but i wanna replace it and get a little bigger storage size

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 03:00 PM

Use the hard drive manufacturer's software to migrate everything on your old drive to your new one.

If you didn't get it with the hard drive you can download it from the hard drive manufacturer's support site.

Why not just add the new drive as a slave being that the old one is working without problems - or does it have a problem?

In any case - you should be able to migrate everything on the old drive to the new one including Windows.

You can also use a program like Ghost" to image the drive and place the image on the new drive.

#11 shortyman

shortyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 04:02 PM

there is no possible way to use the same cd as used on my parents comp?

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 04:29 PM

No there isn't. To do that is called piracy and Microsoft will catch it.

By the way, there is no such thing as a years trial version of Windows XP.

#13 shortyman

shortyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 06:15 PM

my computer guy installed windows xp on it, but i didnt get a disc for it.

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 07:08 PM

Get the disk and the appropriate key number from him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users