Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with a task.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DiscoBearFever90

DiscoBearFever90

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:44 PM

I need someone with knowledge in networking to solve this task and break the steps for me. This is so important to me, but I can't find a good source of information. Task: "I have two routers running DDWRT firmware (after market firmware) and I have one internet modem. I need to daisy chain the two routers together. The internet modem gateway IP address that plugs into the WAN port of our router is 192.168.0.1 for local PAN (personal area network). One router that will hold private data call is POS router. The other router will just be a free internet access for the shop. Knowing this information, how would you setup the system and what network IP's would go where on each interface. Note that each router has 1 wan port and 4 switch ports."

Thanks in advance for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 09 January 2016 - 02:01 PM

What you are trying to do is called double NATing. This refers to having devices behind two routing devices which are running Network Address Translation.

When you say local PAN you are actually describing a LAN. :)

So here is how you would want to connect the components:

Internet -Coax-> Modem -Ethernet-> Router1 WAN

Router1 LAN -Ethernet-> Router2 WAN

Router2 LAN -Ethernet-> Private Data Network Node

You would connect any devices you want the shop to be able to access to the open ports on Router1. You connect your private data network nodes to the open ports on Router2.

I assume you a dynamically assigned IP from your ISP, so Router1 WAN will be configured to get its address from DHCP (this is your ISP). If you have a static IP address from your ISP then you would assign it to Router1 WAN.

Router2 WAN can be whatever non routable IP address you want to use that is not already in use.

Router2 LAN will be a different class non routable IP address.

So maybe you will choose 192.168.2.20 /32 as the WAN IP for Router2 and 172.16.15.40 /24 as the LAN IP range for Router2.

If this is a commercial network, then you might consider purchasing a commercial router which will support VLANs so you don't need to have two routers.

packetanalyzer

#3 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 02:27 PM

Honestly, what you really need is a router that supports a guest Wireless LAN that cannot access things on the main Wireless LAN.

#4 Stefke232

Stefke232

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 12 May 2016 - 04:16 PM

Can this be a correct answer http://imgur.com/bPPss1M

Edited by Stefke232, 12 May 2016 - 04:28 PM.

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 12 May 2016 - 08:44 PM

Possible answer?  Has the correct physical setup and ip addressing EXCEPT your topology has a serious flaw.

From what you write you have 3 routers.  One "modem gateway" [its a router if it contains the word gateway]. And then two of your own routers.

Biggest problem is it would appear you want the last router in series to be the one for the free internet.

packetanalyzer has given you the correct topology with the guest network being on the router closest to the gateway and your private lan on the router farthest from the gateway.

Otherwise the free network is running THROUGH your private network and that makes your private network not private.

#6 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2016 - 08:14 AM

Hi Stefke232,

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer!

Another way you could do it is having the following layout:

Internet -Coax-> Modem -Ethernet-> Switch

Switch -> Router1 WAN

Switch -> Router2 WAN

Router1 LAN -Ethernet-> Public Network

Router2 LAN -Ethernet-> Private Network

Then use ACLs to deny traffic from Router2 inbound to the WAN port of Router1 and deny traffic from Router1 inbound to the WAN port of Router2.

A third solution is to use a single router and a switch behind the router that supports assigning multiple VLANs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users