Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mobile Intel Chipset4 Series Family won't work on Dell Inspiron 1545

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 steampunkevo

steampunkevo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:24 PM

I have a dell Inspiron 1545 running Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1, 64 bit. The hard drive went out so I replaced it with one out of an old Acer Aspire running the same Windows 7 version. It accepted my Windows Activation as genuine, however, my system information shows that is is still an Acer Aspire and my Mobile Intel 4 Series Family Chipset won't recognize the driver. The Properties of the chipset shows this message "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system."

Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 10 January 2016 - 11:02 AM

This is appearing as a Acer because it contains the OEM Windows 7 installation with all of the Acer bloatware.

You made a mistake which probably will necessitate a fresh installation of Windows.  The motherboard has identifiers that Windows recognizes the first time it is started for the first time in the computer.  When you move a hdd to another computer with a different motherboard it will see a different set of identifiers which can cause the hdd to either not boot the operating system or create problems like you are experiencing.

In the future, when you go to move a drive with Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1, or Windows 10 you need to generalize the operating system.  This will remove all of the current identifiers.

If you run sysprep on the HHD/SSD with Windows 7 or 8.1 before using it with another motherboard you should be be able to boot from it without any complications. You want to remove all hardware identifiers from the HDD/SSD, this generalizes the drive.

Click on the Start orb, then type cmd in the Search box.

cmd will appear under Programs above the search box, right click on it and choose Run as administrator.

This will open the Elevated Command Prompt.

In the Elevated Command Prompt type in CD C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep, then 
use the command: sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown.

Don't power the drive back on until it's in the other computer.

Note: You'll want to install the new motherboard chipset drivers for the new motherboard after moving the drive.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users