Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unusual Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:50 AM

I'm doing some work on an existing web site - mainly just making it look much more presentable and attractive to users. I received a call from the client yesterday, asking me a question that I cannot answer. This is the situation:

The client has owned this particular domain name for upwards of ten years. Last year, when it came time for the domain registration to be renewed, she asked her son (who was the original developer of the site), to handle that renewal. When he did, he transferred the registration into his name, and removed my client's name from the registration. (This is her son, mind you.) When she noticed this, she asked him why he had done so. His response was, "Because since I developed the original site, if and when you sell it, I intend to make a profit from that sale." (The client says that he was originally paid $5,000.00 for creating the site.)

My question (and the client's), is this: Since he now owns this domain name, can he put that domain into any kind of suspension, thus shutting down the site? The site is hosted by a company called Big Commerce, which does not allow the use of direct FTP work on a site - they require the use of their own software, which they provide to their customers, in order to upload or download any files to or from the server. The client has changed the Admin password to the site, as well as the pin number which is required to modify the site; therefore, he is not able to simply go in and remove anything from the server. The client's concern is whether or not there is a way that he can suspend the domain, thus shutting down the site.

This is a new one to me, and I'm hoping someone here can give me the answer, so I can either ease my client's mind, or tell her to be worried...

Edited by MelissaPleases, 09 January 2016 - 10:51 AM.

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 06:35 PM

can he put that domain into any kind of suspension, thus shutting down the site?

I'm not sure what you mean by "suspension", but if he has control of the domain then he can point it anywhere or nowwhere at all, which could be used to prevent visitors from reaching the site.

#3 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:35 AM

Thanks, hollowface. The word "suspension" was the client's not mine - honestly, I wasn't sure what word to use. I was thinking along these lines, but wasn't sure. I'll let her know.

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#4 brogoff

brogoff

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:30 PM

If he's the owner of the domain name, he can extort money from anyone, including his own parents. It sounds like a family issue, not a technical one. Counseling is advised.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users