Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Terrible, Terrible Internet Speeds

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 eddie1234567

eddie1234567

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:24 AM

Straight Forward, my internet it terrible,

we use sky broadband and we pay for 15mbs or 25mbs, I don't know which one but the speeds I am getting is nowhere near even 15mbs

Please see attached for the internet speedtests...

My room is the furthest in the house and only has one plug in the whole room (I cannot use ethernet because it needs its own socket) which my computer is using

So I have a netgear wireless adapter, nearly all the time my internet is 1.5 ish mb but sometimes it goes basically to 0, the thing which is weird is how my phone

gets 10mbs as you will see in attached but the computer (at this moment in time) it getting nothing, is there any way to increase the speed and I will try anything anyone asks

because I cannot do anything with this internet, even when it is at its best at 1.5.. :(

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 eddie1234567

eddie1234567
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 02:17 PM

Not my IP by the way :)

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 09 January 2016 - 06:10 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

Are you sure your phone and computer are on the same network ?  Looking at the screen shot from your phone it seems to be saying it is on EE while you have Sky in the house.

You have two other problem areas - your location in the house, which you can do little about, and the way your dongle is mounted. A wi-fi signal is attenuated by materials in the line between the dongle and the router. It might be worth your while getting a USB extension lead and experimenting with different mounting positions. Because the rear of my computer butts onto an external wall and the router is in the centre of the house this is what I had to do -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4kxnu10mr2avu5e/Mounting%20a%20wifi%20dongle.jpg?dl=0

And even then the position of that yellow clip is critical. If it slips down as little as half an inch I lose about 30% of my signal.

Have you measured the speed received by ethernet direct from the router ?  Using a laptop if necessary. If you don't have a laptop persuade a friend with one to come round and measure it then. If the performance you get then is still abysmal complain to Sky. If it turns out that you are getting more or less the advertised speeds at the router then your problem is signal attenuation.

We use Sky ourselves and while in the two and a half years we have been with them there have been one or two brief dips in service our experience has been that their service is pretty reliable. and the one time we did have a service outage - due to a ham-fisted BT technician - it was repaired within their service standard.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,067 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 09 January 2016 - 07:18 PM

Please run this app so we can see your wifi's signal strength and driver info -

http://www.sysnative.com/apps/netsh_lan_wlan_jcgriff2_.exe

A Notepad will open with the results. Please attach the text file to your next post.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Edited by jcgriff2, 09 January 2016 - 07:18 PM.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

#5 eddie1234567

eddie1234567
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 07:50 AM

Chris, my phone provider is EE which it always states but is connected to wifi, I will get back to you with the laptop + ethernet (I'll use a mac) if that changes anything

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 10 January 2016 - 05:25 PM

Checking your connection speed with  Mac makes no difference to wi-fi performance, but try Jcgriff's suggestion as well.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 18 January 2016 - 02:08 PM

How far is this slow computer from the router?  The speed varies in accordance with the inverse square law which means that WiFi signal strength decreases with the square of the distance between the router and your PC.  One thing I did with my wife's computer was to get a 10 foot USB extension cord and move the WiFi dongle 10' closer to the router.  In the process I also moved it from the floor to several feet off the floor so the signal didn't have to go through a large piece of furniture.  Another possible solution is to go to wireless-AC which is the latest WiFi protocol.  For that you'd need to replace your router and dongle.  My wireless-AC router cost $30 at Amazon, and you can buy the dongles for $10 and up.  Wireless-AC claims to have greater range than prior versions.

Good luck. 

Edited by Niweg, 18 January 2016 - 02:09 PM.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users