Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Attempted to Rename User Folder - what have I done?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Gregg123

Gregg123

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 09:34 AM

Hi Guys,

My first time here, I am used to searching the Internet to find the answer to my computer issues, and that is what has caused my problems! I have tried other forums but basically they were unable to help me.

So, I have a laptop that I use for work, and it had one of those annoying little things that when they set up my laptop the User Folder was named incorrectly. (My name is Gregg NOT Greg :)))

I had the computer about 6 months without any issues, and decided just before Xmas to try to fix it. I was trying to follow this:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_security/rename-user-account-folder-in-windows-10-preview/88033eca-6b32-47c5-90ac-a5e7af17d094?page=4&auth=1

I did the simple rename that made no difference and eventually made the mistake of changing the Registry. I only ever changed one letter! What happened was the first time I tried the restore point worked perfectly. The second time (I did something slightly different, I don't remember what) the restore point wasn't, or didn't appear to work.

Anyway, what appeared to happen was all my programs etc worked perfectly in my Greg user - and all my documents e.g. Desktop found their way into my Gregg user. This wasn't a problem to save these - and I am currently using the old profile.

Using the computer over the last few weeks, has found a number of annoying little things that must have been caused by my tinkering:

In Outlook all of my address book has disappeared

Even though all my favorites appear to be untouched - this is very strange I cannot find the folder containing my Microsoft Edge favorites anywhere!

Again, very strangely - the audio, most of the time has developed a strange static noise when listening or using video.

So, what I would like to do is fix these issues, and also tidy up my Users - maybe even get to where I wanted to be in the first place. Of course, I tried to ask the IT at work, but as long as I can switch the thing on, they aren't interested.

I am happy to supply anything you need to help and I think am pretty good at following simple instructions! 

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 10 January 2016 - 06:49 AM

I'd suspect that the tinkering has caused this.

Unfortunately, without a record or a backup of the system from before you made the changes, there may not be a way that we can revert the changes.

IMO the easiest thing here would be to create a new account and then set it up as you would like it.

You can then (usually) import the things needed from your backup or from the other profiles (if you have the necessary permissions).

Then you can delete the other accounts (in Settings/Control Panel - NOT in the registry or in the file system).

System Restore is a fragile thing.  It works well most times, but you may have corrupted something that's essential for it to run.

As such, that's the point where a full backup should have been made (it's the easiest).

You also could have backed up the registry manually (more difficult, but it takes less space).

As for file backups - never delete any file until you're 100% certain you'll never need it again.

Simply rename it - and see if it breaks anything.

The trick here is to remember what you've renamed it - so you can un-rename it in order to restore it (if needed)

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Gregg123

Gregg123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 08:16 AM

You see the thing is when I go to: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts

There is only one! All looks perfectly normal and fine.

The issue was here: This PC> (C:) > Users - it was this Folder that was named incorrectly, not the actual User itself! Now I have loads of 'Users' even though there is only one User Account!!!

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 04:53 PM

First things first.

Can you create a new account and set it up the way that you want it?

Do that first.  Then, if needed, we can find ways to work around the other problems.

Please post a screenshot of the contents of the C:\ directory

And also a screenshot of the contents of the C:\Users directory

Edited by usasma, 10 January 2016 - 04:56 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Gregg123

Gregg123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:42 AM

Hi,
Really sorry for the delay - was off the radar for a week. The thing is as it is a work computer, I would prefer not to create a new user, and as most things seem to be there but in different places I would like to try to fix it myself. If worst comes to the worst they will create me a new user - but would be happy to just bulldoze thru all my things and do a reset!

Anyway, some good news - the sound seems to have fixed itself. No idea what happened but that is done. I have attached the screenshots. What I want to do (if this is a good idea) is remove all the stuff I don't need so I can see what is actually missing, that I had before. As I said, my thinking is everything is there just a little jumbled.

Cheers!

http://1drv.ms/1PdvPSm

http://1drv.ms/1Pdw0Nq

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 06:15 AM

I'd then suggest that you post over in the Software forums for help with each specific application:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/78/software/

#7 Gregg123

Gregg123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 04:18 AM

Ok, with those other user folders am I ok to delete them? How many would normally be there? I am guessing 2, the one I am using and Public? Where did the ADMINI and Default.migrated ones come from and can I remove them?

Thanks

Edited by Gregg123, 21 January 2016 - 04:27 AM.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 04:55 PM

There are numerous User folders.  This is what's on my system:

- All Users

- Default User

- Default.migrated

- EasySurvey

- my Standard User account

- my Administrator account

- Public

I don't have an ADMINISTRATOR account as I haven't enabled it.

But it's advisable to keep it.

At work I've seen many other accounts, particularly those associated with networking updates

Not to be nasty, but why are you bound and determined to mess up the system by deleting all this stuff?

You've already damaged the system - and it may be beyond repair - yet you persist in wanting to delete stuff.

IMO you'll need to get some more experience working on computers before you start deleting stuff all willy-nilly.

Good luck to you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users