Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linksys AE2500 Ubuntu 15.10 keeps failing

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Arfer

Arfer

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 09 January 2016 - 08:43 AM

I had the Linksys AE2500 running very happily in 15.04 using ndiswrapper from software centre.

Have upgraded to 15.10 and it is now unusable. I can get internet access for 5-10 mins and then it stops working.

Have uninstalled ndiswrapper and reinstalled and am using bcmwlhigh5 windows XP driver.

Have also tried to use windows 7 version but it comes up as incompatible.

Any ideas anyone?

TIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 09 January 2016 - 08:51 AM

Linksys AE2500 is wireless adaptor of some sort?  I believe that 15.04 used kernel 3.19, 15.10 is on kernel 4.2.  If you reboot the computer, hit esc after the bios, you should be in the Grub menu.  scroll down to Advanced options, hit enter, that should bring up a list of kernels installed.  If 3.19 is still there, select that and boot it.  See if the adaptor works again.

That is a "datapoint" not a solution.  It's been a while since I've done that (used ndiswrapper) but something just may need to be rebuilt for kernel 4.2.

32bit or 64bit version of the OS?  That may also make a difference

This looks like it has a lot of good information.  One thing that jumps out is the new kernel may be loading a module for the hardware that is preventing ndiswrapper from claiming it.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/Ndiswrapper

Edited by mremski, 09 January 2016 - 08:57 AM.

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users