Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Update on Linux test rig

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 09 January 2016 - 07:46 AM

Hi guys,

Well, the test rig arrived and I've made some good progress. First, it came better equipped than advertised which was great. It came with a 500GB hard drive, and two CD/DVD players, so I didn't have to swap hard drives after all. Heck, it even has a floppy drive.  :lol:

First I made a full image, then formatted it to make sure no bad blocks existed, and then I did my first manual install of Mint Mate 17.3, 64 bit. I took your advise and made three partitions – root, home, and swap. I made root a primary partition, and both home and swap logical. It wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. Today I am going to install TimeShift and try it out.

The E8400 processor wasn't bad in its time, and Mint flies on it. One advantage of it over the processor in my XPS system is that it supports VT-x. I have been wanting to try Virtualbox in Linux for a while, so now I can.

So far I have encountered only two problems with the new system:

First, just as was the case with my XPS system, my Epson, WF-3620 printer simply won't install. I have tried at least ten times and it just stops midway. It finally did install on my XPS, but I have no idea why. I have rebooted after each attempt but no joy. I suspect there is something flaky about that driver.

Next, I've noticed on occasion that the “Update Manager” icon in the tray changes into a red X. This message appears when it does:

Could not download all repository indexes

The repository may no longer be available or could not be contacted because of network problems. If available an older version of the failed index will be used. Otherwise the repository will be ignored. Check your network connection and ensure the repository address in the preferences is correct.

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Could not open file descriptor -1
E: Unable to lock the list directory

The computer connects to the Internet perfectly (Ethernet cable), so I have no idea what that error means.

That's it for now, but if you have any ideas about my problems, I certainly would appreciate your help.

Thanks guys.  :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nuna

nuna

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 09 January 2016 - 02:40 PM

It should work using the printer-driver-escpr package (you can install it from the Software Manager or from Terminal):

sudo apt-get install printer-driver-escpr

If that does not work and you are using the installer from here you can post any error you get while installing it.

To scan you can use simple-scan or similar program.

External info: AskUbuntu - Need driver for an Epson WF-3620 printer

If it just happens from time to time don't worry about the red X in the update manager: just try it later. Sometimes this can happen when the server is overloaded or updating the files in the repository... Other causes are possible too.

Edited by nuna, 09 January 2016 - 02:52 PM.

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,882 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:31 PM

I think that answer came from one of our members as I remember the same exact answer here.  Yes, there is a little bit of an issue with epson printer setup via the Printer Setup GUI.  Best to do what nuna said and install drivers via Synaptic Package Manager/Terminal, Re-boot try again.  It should work, just keep messing with it.  In the future do it this way and not by the Printer Installer GUI.

pcpunk out 

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 04:18 PM

Hi guys,

Installing the driver through the terminal worked perfectly! I don't know why it wouldn't work via Software Manager, but I sure am glad it worked this way. I can print now!  :clapping:

Thanks guys :thumbup2:

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,882 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 09 January 2016 - 05:46 PM

That package also contains the scanner drivers, so you can use "Simple Scan" if you need to!  Also try "Synaptic Package Manager" next time and not "Software Manager", or like you did, in the Terminal.   

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#6 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 06:36 PM

Thank you, pcpunk,

I have a whole lot to learn, and everyday I learn a bit more thanks to all of you.

If you are familiar with the movie “The Day the Earth Stood Still”, I feel very much like Professor Barnhardt felt when he said to Klaatu . . . “I have several thousand questions I would like to ask you”.   :lol:

Thanks again  :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users