Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AMD Crimson Edition Drivers Install Issues Win 10 64

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cyntil8ing

Cyntil8ing

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 09 January 2016 - 12:09 AM

Greetings,

I'm trying to update my AMD chipset drivers but, the latest set of Crimson Edition drivers aren't installing properly. In fact, it's not updating any of the drivers contained within the executable but not giving any error reports.

If someone's able to help me install the newer drivers or give some constructive help, I'd appreciate it. If you have any questions regarding the build, just ask.

1. The OS is Win 10 64

2. My board is a GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev 1.1

3. Here's the official link to the AMD driver page I'm trying to install. Link

Thanks for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 10 January 2016 - 06:09 AM

Gigabyte doesn't support W10 on this board.  As such, there may be an incompatibility preventing it from working with W10.

Have you updated the BIOS/UEFI?  That'd be the place to start and see if you can work around the problems.

Another option (although this is a bit torturous) would be to:

- install W8

- update BIOS and chipset

- update to W10

For more help, please try to install the driver one more time - then immediately generate these reports for us to have a look at:

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Cyntil8ing

Cyntil8ing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 10:35 PM

See next post.

Edited by Cyntil8ing, 10 January 2016 - 11:02 PM.

#4 Cyntil8ing

Cyntil8ing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 11:02 PM

Hi usasma,

Yes, I've updated the BIOS to the latest version (not a UEFI ver. of board). I've never used Gigabyte's chipset drivers in the past to be honest as I've always sourced it from AMD without issues.

I know the chipset is still compatible with W10. In fact, Gigabyte even released a new board based on the same chipset. As for your revert and reinstall suggestion, the current install is from a fresh drive. It's not an "upgrade" install and there have been no BIOS updates since W10 was released and installed in this PC.

I'm thinking that perhaps I can just do a manual install via file extraction from the driver package. Now if only I remember how to extract the drivers...

Gigabyte doesn't support W10 on this board.  As such, there may be an incompatibility preventing it from working with W10.

Have you updated the BIOS/UEFI?  That'd be the place to start and see if you can work around the problems.

Another option (although this is a bit torturous) would be to:

- install W8

- update BIOS and chipset

- update to W10

For more help, please try to install the driver one more time - then immediately generate these reports for us to have a look at:

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:04 AM

As I recall, you start the AMD installer and discover where the drivers are extracted to (one of the installer screens will ask for permission to extract it there).

Then you copy that folder (and it's sub-folders) somewhere else, so it doesn't get deleted when the installer exits

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Cyntil8ing

Cyntil8ing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 06:47 AM

Yeah, that did the trick. The deflated driver set, by default, leaves behind the driver set in "C:\AMD" post install process. I just had to manually install them. It's not the most convenient method but it's easy enough. It's just odd that AMD doesn't install them by default. I wonder why the round-about process. The old driver set, Catalyst, used to identify the different driver sets and had tick boxes for which ones the user wanted/had to install.

EDIT: forgot to say THANK YOU!

As I recall, you start the AMD installer and discover where the drivers are extracted to (one of the installer screens will ask for permission to extract it there).

Then you copy that folder (and it's sub-folders) somewhere else, so it doesn't get deleted when the installer exits

Edited by Cyntil8ing, 12 January 2016 - 06:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users