Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading GPU

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Lilium

Lilium

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 07:49 PM

Thanks for reading. Current build that was built a few weeks ago:

Recently acquired more funds and looking to improve gpu power. Which card would be an appropriate upgrade? Price range is $200-$300 yet I may expend a tad more if necessary. I don't account for any Mail-In rebates and availability on Amazon is preferred as I'm a Prime member but doesn't really matter. Thanks again.

Tempus Fugit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raymac46

raymac46

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 08:06 PM

I'd say you already have a pretty nice card for your system as built. You could probably upgrade to an Nvidia GTX 960 or 970 if your power supply supports it. Or an AMD R9 380 or 390 if your power supply is good to go.

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 08:08 PM

I just purchased the sapphire R9 380 nitro for $215 off of newegg last month. I'd provide a link but its difficult to do so on my phone right now, but if you get on newegg and do a search you will find it. It's factory overclocked with a 1010 mhz core clock, 5800 mhz memory clock and 4 gigs of GDDR5 video ram, and it runs cool as a whistle. I am very impressed with its performance for a mid range card it does really well, and is directX 12 ready.

Edited by the_patriot11, 08 January 2016 - 08:08 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 Lilium

Lilium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:07 PM

Excellent, though I forgot to mentioned I'm leaning towards MSI gpu just for the sake of their cards being fully unlocked to overclocking via MSI Afterburner.

Like this MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card

So my question now is this worth the extra in comparison to the Sapphire Radeon R9 380 4GB NITRO Dual-X OC Video Card which as you said is factory overclocked from the get-go?

Tempus Fugit

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:21 PM

well, in a side by side comparison, the 970 will likely outperform the Sapphire slightly, at least when it comes to framerate, but not likely by a huge amount, while the Sapphire card supports openGL 4.5 while the nvidia card only supports 4.4. If thats not something you worry about or affects you, then that probably isnt something to concern yourself with. Personally, Im not a MSI fan-at least where im from they have a high failure rate. Now, with that said I know people that swear by them, so take that with a grain of salt. And personally, im also a die hard AMD fan. Also, may not be a huge factor, but the sapphire card has a backplate on it, which helps in cooling and helps support the weight of the  card-which allows for better longevity and the MSI one does not.

In either case, while my first pick is always a AMD sapphire card, either card I think would be a good pick. Personally, if I do go for an NVIDIA chipset, I prefer EVGA or ASUS personally.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 Lilium

Lilium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 11:43 PM

Ok, I'll take your advice on the R9 380. Thanks for your time.

Tempus Fugit

#7 raymac46

raymac46

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 07:34 AM

I have an ASUS GTX650 Ti Boost in my Windows desktop and a Sapphire AMD R7 360 in my Linux rig. Both are excellent cards. I went with AMD in the Linux machine because it has an AMD processor and motherboard. I have Nvidia in the Windows machine because it works best with my Train Simulator games. You can't go wrong with either card but maybe you want to check and see if there's any info about which one plays your games better.

#8 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:02 AM

I hate to crash the party but I think your cash would be better spent upgrading the CPU. While I've turned into a big team red fan, they don't currently have the ability to compete with Intel in the CPU market. Here's hoping that will change with Zen though! I've had enough of having to pay $250+ for a decent CPU or try to make an fx-8350 work in a gaming setup.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#9 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:15 AM

Afterburner works on most GPUs, not just MSI ones. I think the only thing that is usually "locked" on a GPU is the voltage, and it's not too hard to find a card with unlocked voltage (even my cheapish 290X from XFX had it).
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#10 raymac46

raymac46

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 11:26 AM

My CPU is a 2012 era Trinity A8-5600K and I recently installed the R7 360 video card. Nothing is bleeding edge at all and I don't do any gaming, but with an SSD and running Linux the performance is really fast - as much as I'd ever want.

I understand that Intel has the performance edge, but AMD is very price competitive and for what I need does an excellent job. I upgraded the video card because AMD is dropping its support for legacy video such as you find in the Trinity APU.

This particular desktop feels much livelier than my other one which has an i5-2320 in it but conventional hard drive and running Windows 10.

Edited by raymac46, 10 January 2016 - 11:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users