Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

usb modem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 trollocks

trollocks

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 04:25 PM

I've just had a new usb modem but the problem is that windows does not see it, it seems to be working ok as the green light is on but nothing shows up in my computer so it won't connect to the internet..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,139 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 05:36 PM

Make and model of your computer; make and model of this USB modem ?

Are you sure you have (1) the correct drivers for it and, (2) they are properly installed ?  Does 'Device manager' show any errors/problems ?

Chris Cosgrove

#3 trollocks

trollocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 06:33 PM

This is about the 4th one of these I have had, normally I just insert it and it installs everything itself, however  this one doesn't seem to be recognised, no noise tat you usually get when i put in a usb device.  Have attached screenshots which hopefully are some use.

Attached Files

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,139 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 07:28 PM

Googling the component id numbers in your screenshots above - I see 'ZTE MMC storage USB device' - and every link I have looked at seems to supply only drivers with no description, specification or even image of it.

However it appears to be some sort of memory stick or external hard drive, not a wi-fi dongle or even a modem. If this is correct then it is no surprise that it cannot connect you to the internet. That does leave the question why it doesn't show up as a storage device when connected. Is it possible the device is faulty ?  This link may give some help with checking that you do have the correct drivers -

http://hardwaredata.org/index.php?driver=87397

Chris Cosgrove

#5 trollocks

trollocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:04 PM

Found a link for an update on the ZTE website, ran the program and it is now working properly.

Thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users