Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't boot from CD

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Xemnas01

Xemnas01

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 02:47 PM

Hi everyone.
I'm pulling my hair out at the moment because I decided to computer wipe my hdd and ssd but now when I try to install windows from booting from disk, it just says "unable to detect bootable media, please restart or insert bootable media into chosen device and press any key".

Both my hard drive and my disk drive show up in the bios and my disk drive has always worked perfectly before so I am at a loss as to what could be causing this, any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 02:49 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Do you have recovery disks, if this is an OEM system?

What system issues prompted the decision to try a wipe-and-install?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 08 January 2016 - 02:50 PM.

#3 Xemnas01

Xemnas01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 02:53 PM

I built the system myself and I just moved it all to a new case.

Motherboard: Asrock extreme 3 gen
CPU: Intel i5
Graphics: booting with basic on board graphics atm
RAM: 8gb ddr3
PSU: Corsair 650w

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 03:00 PM

Do you have a legal install disk for your Windows installtion effort?  What version of Windows?

Louis

#5 Xemnas01

Xemnas01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 03:02 PM

Yes I have a legal windows 7 install disk but my computer wont recognise it as bootable media, do you think the disk is the problem?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 03:08 PM

It would seem to be the optical drive or the install media.  Do you have access (temporary) to another system to test the media?

Louis

#7 Xemnas01

Xemnas01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 03:29 PM

No I'm afraid I don't, that's my main problem here. I guess I'm just going to have to wait until I have access to another system to test the disk.

#8 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 05:31 PM

If your motherboard has a 'boot override' or 'boot menu' key you can press when starting up, try using that to try the optical drive in both UEFI and Legacy modes. I have had issues where sometimes it will try one mode but not the other before.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#9 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 08:23 AM

Is the sata connection to the disk drive ok?

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,198 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 08:56 AM

I believe you can tap F11 for the boot menu. See if you can force the DVD to boot using it. If not then try the following.

If the ASrock motherboard is UEFI then the standard Windows 7 disk will not boot. Use a USB flash drive and Rufus. To make the iso file use Imgburn to read the DVD and write an iso.Use a write speed of not faster than 4X if possible. This will take awhile on the DVD.  In Rufus select GPT for the partition scheme and where you see FreeDos, select iso image in the dropdown box. Click the folder icon and browse to the iso image. Press Start. Check the Quick Format box if not checked. Backup any data on the flash drive.

Use MBR for a partition scheme if GPT fails or if the computer has a regular BIOS and not UEFI.

If the computer is UEFI then you could use Legacy Boot but then you lose the advantage of UEFI.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/186875-uefi-unified-extensible-firmware-interface-install-windows-7-a.html

Edit: As a reminder, If your HDD was the main drive with SSD caching then you need to set up Intels Smart Response after install. 

http://www.asrock.com/microsite/IntelZ68/index.asp?c=SRT

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 January 2016 - 09:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users