Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old into the New....what to do?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Smilingcrafter

Smilingcrafter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 02:06 PM

I sure hope someone can help, I am surely frustrated..... but I will find the right path.   The reason I request your knowledge and advice is because I graduated with a bachelor degree in 2000.  I double majored in Computer Info. and Psychology.  After graduation my father needed me to work his insurance agency, which I have do for the past 14 yrs.  The thing is I am burned out on insurance, it gives me anxiety something awful.   

I need a job for support, but also for my sanity (get away from the house).  Because of my health (have a progressive neuromuscular disease, which affects my strength, balance, and walking) and age 52,  I am limited to the employment opportunities to me.  Because my degree in computer info. is so old and I have no experience, the degree is pretty much useless.  

I have noticed several companies looking for SQL and database related jobs.  I am thinking with my health issues this might be the way to go.  I ask you, to get a job in a rural area in N. E. Texas.  Where do I start?  Is this the direction you would go?  Do I have to go back to school?  That is very difficult due to difficulty walking and also the financial aspect.  I am just feeling so overwhelmed, not knowing what to do.  Please share your knowledge and advice, how should I go about getting to the place that a business would want to hire me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:43 AM

You've got the opposite problem I have, degree and no experience.  I've got two decades of experience and no degree.  On the plus side companies just want a degree, they aren't picky on when. You'll list it on your resume as Bachelor's Degree in Computer Information and leave out the dates.  That's one problem solved.

Now you're going to at least need a certification in what you want to do.  Check out Microsoft Certified Database Administrator and see if that looks like something you could do.  You could get self study material to study at home.

The great thing about a lot of IT jobs today is that you can work any where in the world.  I provide global support and don't travel.

Edited by Kilroy, 11 January 2016 - 06:45 AM.

#3 Smilingcrafter

Smilingcrafter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:48 PM

Thank you so much for your reply.  I can't tell you how excited I was to see someone was willing to help me figure out what path I need to follow to get where I want and need to go.  

What does it mean... the MCDBA certification was retired Sept. 2012?  In response to "does it look like something I could do?"  Heck yes!!!! If I have opportunity, and challenge... I will do it, or die trying LoL.    The only things that may slow me down a bit is $$$ for what I need, but we will trudge on until we need to cross that bridge.

Do you mind me asking how you got your job?  It sounds like an awesome opportunity.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 02:00 PM

Sorry, I didn't know that Microsoft retired the MCDBA.  That means that the exam can no longer be taken and isn't valid any more.  Sorry, Database Administration is outside my area of expertise.  Here's an article about the best Database Certifications for 2016.

Looking for a job in IT is a whole different world.  I post my resume on Sunday night and get half a dozen to a dozen calls on Monday.  Unfortunately a lot of them are positions that I am vastly over qualified for that pay half of what I'm looking to make.  From the rest I get to weed through the ones that sound interesting and are within my pay range.

Provided you aren't doing hardware break fix most work can be done remotely normally from a central office, or if you're lucky, from home.

My past three jobs have all been through staffing companies that I've never heard from.  All of these jobs have been long, six month or more, contract positions.  I turned one into a full time job, and only left when I moved out of state with my wife. I am working to do the same with my current position.

My contract for my current position was for six months.  My estimate for what they were looking to do was 90 days.  I finished what they wanted in less than 90 days, then moved on to other things.  Now I'm working on my second year.  Contract work isn't for everyone, no work, no pay can be an issue for some.  I don't get paid for company holidays for example.  The end of the year I had two three day work weeks.  So, if you live paycheck to paycheck, contract work may not be for you.

I haven't had any luck with the big staffing companies, dating back to when I was doing Administrative Assistant / Clerical work in the early 90s.  My experience has been that they don't pay as much as the smaller companies.

#5 Smilingcrafter

Smilingcrafter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2016 - 03:34 PM

Okay, well not Okay!  My options of going out to get a job is non-existent.  the muscular disease I have dose not allow me to work long periods of time everyday. It has won this hand, but not the next.  Shoot Darn-it, I am not a happy camper, but you got to play the hand you are dealt....right?   

First BC Advisor I would like to Thank you for your advise and welcome much more if you would be gracious enough to share it.  

I need to know, and I say need to know because I need a job really bad, what kind of job could I do online, learn without great expense, get a job pretty quickly, and where are the best places to look for a online job.  How does one get around the fact that everyone wants experience but no one will hire you to get experience?  Will my bachelors degree in computer info.help in any way?

I don't have to make a lot of money, I just need enough to survive.  

Thanks for any assistance anyone can give.

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 11:12 AM

Unfortunately I'm not up on jobs that you can do from home, otherwise I'd be all over it.  You could try something like Fiverr.

You might also check out United Way's 211.  You've got some special circumstances that they may be able to point you in the best direction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users