Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer beeping with new processor (won't start).

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 eskilla

eskilla

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 02:00 PM

Hello.

I tried upgrading my processor but when I boot it gives me 1 short + 1 long beep (repeating on a black screen). Which would be a memory problem according to the manual. Nothing wrong with my memory tho(?). When I put the old processor back; everything works fine.

This is my computer: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/435619/Hp-Pro-3120-Minitower-Pc.html?page=2#manual

I upgraded from E5500, 2-MB cache, 2.80 GHz to Q8400, 4-MB cache, 2.66 GHz

New thermal paste between changes and all that. The fan doesn't seem to run any faster than usual when I try to boot with the new processor.

I have 8gb RAM, Windows 7 64-bit. Hope I got all the info required down. I was really looking forward to this upgrade - now I'm just a sad panda. Hopefully someone can help?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by eskilla, 08 January 2016 - 03:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 03:06 PM

If the CPU is displayed properly in the BIOS...I would try resetting the BIOS to default settings (with new CPU installed).  Then try a normal boot.

Louis

#3 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 03:09 PM

Um...you have two CPU's designed for two different sockets.

The E5500 runs in the LGA775 socket

The I5-750 is designed for LGA1156

Unfortunately, the physical size of the E5500 and the I5-750 CPU package is the same, which can lead someone to think it will fit the same sockets...they don't.  The I5-750 has 1.5 times as many pins on the bottom and needs a different socket so all those pins have contacts.

If you went by the link you provided, I believe you have misread that documentation.   The HP 3120 is available in multiple configurations (i.e. different CPU options).  To go from the E5500 to the I5-750 will also require a different motherboard with the correct socket and different memory as well (The E5500 uses DDR2 memory and the I5 needs DDR3).

#4 eskilla

eskilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 03:12 PM

Um...you have two CPU's designed for two different sockets.

The E5500 runs in the LGA775 socket

The I5-750 is designed for LGA1156

Unfortunately, the physical size of the E5500 and the I5-750 CPU package is the same, which can lead someone to think it will fit the same sockets...they don't.  The I5-750 has 1.5 times as many pins on the bottom and needs a different socket so all those pins have contacts.

If you went by the link you provided, I believe you have misread that documentation.   The HP 3120 is available in multiple configurations (i.e. different CPU options).  To go from the E5500 to the I5-750 will also require a different motherboard with the correct socket and different memory as well (The E5500 uses DDR2 memory and the I5 needs DDR3).

My bad, I wrote the wrong model for the new cpu in my original post - I've updated it with the correct one now.

#5 eskilla

eskilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 03:14 PM

If the CPU is displayed properly in the BIOS...I would try resetting the BIOS to default settings (with new CPU installed).  Then try a normal boot.

Louis

I can't get to BIOS with the new cpu, all I get is a blank screen and beeping - no further actions. I have however changed back to the old cpu and reset BIOS to default, then changed cpu to the new one again; still the same problem.

#6 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 03:53 PM

That is indeed odd.  That CPU should be fine (thanks for the clarification on that!).

If you can't get into BIOS, and the beeps indicate a memory issue, try putting only one stick of memory in it and see if you can get to BIOS.

If that fails, try different memory.

If that fails, it could possibly be a bad CPU.  If you have access to another system you could test the CPU in?

#7 eskilla

eskilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 04:45 PM

That is indeed odd.  That CPU should be fine (thanks for the clarification on that!).

If you can't get into BIOS, and the beeps indicate a memory issue, try putting only one stick of memory in it and see if you can get to BIOS.

If that fails, try different memory.

If that fails, it could possibly be a bad CPU.  If you have access to another system you could test the CPU in?

Right? :/ I tried booting up with only one stick (different ones), no change. And I don't have another system that support this CPU.

#8 eskilla

eskilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 07:44 AM

SOLUTION: So apparently this was a memory issue - the new cpu booted with one of my sticks (http://www.electrobyt.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=6129#.VpD5BFLlnyF) and that one only. No other combinations or singles of my sticks worked. I even tried different dimm-slots for everything.

But now comes the part where I need to find new memory... And I'm so confused on what type I should buy because the one stick that works has the same specs as one that doesn't work.

How come the new CPU only works with: http://www.electrobyt.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=6129#.VpEPHFLlnyH

And not with: http://www.electrobyt.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=622#.VpEOclLlnyE

The other CPU were fine with both, and a third one that differs from both the Hynix and Kingston; an A-Data DDR3 4GB 1333MHzDDR3-1333, PC3-10666. It worked (and loaded all 3 sticks á 8gb total) with all combined.

Edited by eskilla, 09 January 2016 - 08:55 AM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 09 January 2016 - 02:58 PM

I would differ as to diagnosis...I would be inclined to think it's a motherboard problem, based on what you state occurs.  Of course...the memory relies upon the motherboard for a functional check.

But I'm no tech of any sort and that's just the way that I would approach it.\

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users