Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mobo/cmos Battery Question - Help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 burnselk

burnselk

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 11:31 AM

I need some help here.

I was given an older computer that I am trying to get running again. I has this Microstar mobo.....model MS 6117 ver 1.1 LX6.

It was in a Tangent case (home build?) that said "2000 Compliant" on the front. So I don't guess it's THAT old. But it does have a slot 1, pentium II, with mmx in it (333Mhz).

It's the mobo that has the larger sized cpu turned up on it's edge. What type slot is that? Hey, I'm new at this guys....and learning.

When I received it, the mobo/CMOS battery was gone. So I need someone to help me decide what type "nickel sized" battery I need for my mobo. I'm assuming I can't get this computer running (at least for long) without this little battery.

Sure would appreciate some help from my friends here. Thanks guys.

By the way, you never hear much about the mobo battery....why is that?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 30 July 2006 - 06:55 PM

I can't say exactly what type of Battery you would need, but after some searching (alot of searching!!!) I did find your MoBo manual. It should say the battery type in there!!

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/manu...=309&kind=1

Good luck!! :thumbsup:
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 30 July 2006 - 11:52 PM

JPHarvey...that was the first site listed when I googled it. :thumbsup:

burnselk...That is a slot 1 CPU and motherboard. The following is from Webopedia.

The form factor for Intel's Pentium II processors. The Slot 1 package replaces the Socket 7 and Socket 8 form factors used by previous Pentium processors. Slot 1 is a 242-contact daughtercard slot that accepts a microprocessor packaged as a Single Edge Contact (SEC) cartridge. A motherboard can have one or two Slot 1s.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 31 July 2006 - 12:18 AM

Yeah, I think I went about it backwards - I tried the MSI website first but couldn't really find it.... Don't tell any1!! lol
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#5 burnselk

burnselk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 18 August 2006 - 02:54 PM

Hey jp and dc.....thanks to you guys now I know a bit more about this mobo and thanks a million for responding. Sorry I have been gone so long on this ......got tied up with other things and had to leave my computer alone.

My mobo is a MS model 6117 ver 1.1 LX6.

Now I'm looking for some more guidance about this Mobo....and certain very small connectors.

I need to know "where" to connect all of the (twisted colored) wires that are coming from the front of the computers case....the power led, HDD led, reset, etc.....there's about 4 or 5 connectors (very small) that are marked as to what they are.....but, here's the question.....where "on the mobo" do these 4 or 5 little black connectors (4 pins?) go?

I'm still searching for a place to plug them all in. Should it be marked on the mobo where these connectors go?

Looking forward to some help please.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 20 August 2006 - 09:19 AM

I suspect that the CMOS battery for your mobo is a CR-2032 - and they're available at WalMart for about $1.50. The user's manual for your mobo will specify it.

Where to connect all them wires? I know your pain! After many years of struggling with this I've come to the conclusion that it can't be done! Actually, I always hose the connection for the hard drive LED's - but manage to get the Power and Reset one's hooked up OK.

There will be markings on the little wires (or with the documentation that came with the computer case. Then, there'll be documentation in the manual for the mobo about where they go. It just takes a bit of reading and a bit of experimenting.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users