Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Page file stuck at zero

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:13 PM

Out of the blue I have suddenly started getting serious low memory problems with warnings and the screen going black soon after startup. My Page file is stuck at zero (which I guess is the cause?) and I cannot change it in the configuration menu. I have tried automatic set, and custom set which appears to have worked except total Page memory stays at zero and is still zero after restarts.   

It has been difficult to launch or stay online to search for advice as everything goes blank before I achieve anything. I have the minimum number of programs running.

Help please!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 09 January 2016 - 06:21 AM

Are you comfortable working in the registry?

If so, here's a link to a page that shows some of the settings:  http://www.carrona.org/bsodreg.html#PagingFile

Another option is to try a Reset using the Keep My Files option - as that should reset the pagefile settings also

But before that, try the following:

Then please run the following DISM commands to see if there's any problems with the system (from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt).  Press Enter after each one:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

FYI - I have repaired systems using the last command even though problems weren't found with the first 2 - so I suggest running them all.

From this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

You can also run sfc.exe /scannow from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt to check for further corruption.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 472 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 07:55 AM

Thanks very much.  No, I am not comfortable working with the Registry.  I have tried all three DISM commands, the first said the image could be repaired and the last one finally produced what I have copied below concerning the 'source file' not being found. Unfortunately it is beyond my low level of expertise. Can you suggest what I should do now?

(I can just keep my computer going with occasional Black Screens by keeping the minimum of things running).

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

#4 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 472 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 09:20 AM

I used sfc/scannow which reported "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix was unable to fix some of them ... " I looked at the log files: totally incomprehensible and overwhelming.

I also sound my Restore Point (I usually only have one) had been deleted. I thought the last one was protected?

#5 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 472 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 02:58 PM

SOLVED! I dont know how. After the sfc/scannow and looking at the horrendous log report I thought it looked like I had a big problem on my hands. I closed down and left it for a while. When I restarted things were back to normal. What a relief.

Anyway, thanks again. If it returns I will have some idea about where to start.It seems a strange thing to have happened, is it likely it was caused by something damaging the Registry? I have several junk cleaners but I do not use their registry cleaners, although I have recently heard that the program may still have some effect on the Registry despite this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users