Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help finding missing folders...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ladyfirst

Ladyfirst

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 11:14 AM

~ As the title indicates, I'm missing two folders that I keep on my desktop.

Yesterday, after logging on, I noticed that they were gone. (I did not delete them and no one else

has access to this computer).

After doing an exhaustive search without any success (I even tried "show hidden folders"), I decided 

this morning to do a System Restore in the oft chance that they would somehow reappear.

However, after opening up System Restore I discovered that there aren't any restore points listed

except for one that was created this morning. (Attached)

Although I'm rather perplexed about that, I'm still more concerned about what happened to those missing

folders and more importantly - how to get them back?

I've run out of ideas and I would really appreciate your help. Thank you!

Attached Files

Edited by Ladyfirst, 08 January 2016 - 11:16 AM.

Computers are magnificent tools for the realization of our dreams, but no machine can replace the human spark of spirit, compassion, love, and understanding.  Louis Gerstner

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 11:35 AM

See if this video helps.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Ladyfirst

Ladyfirst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 12:24 PM

Thank you for that link, Arachibutyrophobia.

I started following the instructions on the video and immediately ran into a snag. My computer isn't recognizing any

of my USB backup drives today. I did a diagnostic and got this: 

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38)
The driver could not be loaded because a previous version of the driver is still in memory."

Apparently the solution is to update the driver which I'm in the process of doing. So that's the current status.
I'll update again when I finish applying the suggestions in the video. Hopefully that will be soon! :)

Computers are magnificent tools for the realization of our dreams, but no machine can replace the human spark of spirit, compassion, love, and understanding.  Louis Gerstner

#4 Ladyfirst

Ladyfirst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 12:55 PM

Thank you so much, Arachibutyrophobia!

I found the missing folders in File History which I'm embarrassed to say I completely forgot about checking.

I really appreciate your bringing it to my attention. 

Kind regards,

Ladyfirst

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:11 PM

I'm glad you were able to find your folders. :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users