Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Empty unknown "notify" folders are being created upon shutdown.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ncksta

ncksta

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 11:06 AM

Hello,

I haven't been able to track down any issues similar to this, so I hope some of you guys can help.  When I shutdown my computer in the evening, a folder is created on one of my external hard drives (N:\). For example, last night the folder "notify1636799688" was created with a timestamp of when I shutdown my computer.  The folder has read-only set to true and the owner is "Administrators".   The folder is not always created when I shutdown so I can't reproduce it at will, but it usually happens every night.  Sometimes I've seen it like "notify-1636799688" (with a hyphen) but the numbers always change.  I have six drives hooked up:

C:\ -> Internal SSD w/ Windows 8.1 installed to it.
D:\ -> Internal SSD
E:\ & G:\ -> Internal HDDs
M:\ & N:\ -> External HDDs

I tried unplugging N:\ and that made the folders get created on the internal HDD G.  I tried using process monitor to look for any programs making changes to that directory but it only happens when the computer is shutdown after the "Shutting down" screen comes up so I can't see what's accessing the drive.  I just secure erased my SSDs and deleted and formatted new partitions on my internal HDDs and the issue persists after re-installing windows and some programs.  I'm kind of paranoid about it. :mellow:

Here's a list of software I have installed:

Core Temp 1.0 RC6
Corsair Utility Engine for K70 keyboard
CrashPlan Automatic Backup
DisplayFusion
Google Chrome
Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus
Microsoft Visual Studio Ultimate 2013 with Update 4
Norton Security Suite
Open Hardware Monitor
Rainmeter
Samsung Magician
Stardock Start8
Steam
TeamViewer 11 Host
WhatPulse

Edit: I restarted my computer after I posted this and actually got another folder.  

mErMtP5.png

Edited by ncksta, 08 January 2016 - 11:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ididi

ididi

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 18 January 2016 - 07:55 AM

Hi

Did you find out what causes the creation of these empty notify folders? I have the same problem - on two drives. Well, one unpartitioned hard drive and on one of the partitions of another.

Based on your list of software, the ones we both have are CrashPlan and Google Chrome (which I seldom use). CrashPlan is set to backup the exact same drives where I'm getting the notify folders, and no others (I have six hard drives in total), so CrashPlan is my strongest suspect at the moment.

#3 ncksta

ncksta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:24 PM

Hi

Did you find out what causes the creation of these empty notify folders? I have the same problem - on two drives. Well, one unpartitioned hard drive and on one of the partitions of another.

Based on your list of software, the ones we both have are CrashPlan and Google Chrome (which I seldom use). CrashPlan is set to backup the exact same drives where I'm getting the notify folders, and no others (I have six hard drives in total), so CrashPlan is my strongest suspect at the moment.

Glad someone else has come across this issue.  I've narrowed it down to CrashPlan.  CrashPlan is backing up stuff from all of my drives but this is the only one that has folders created.  I stopped CrashPlanTray.exe & CrashPlanService.exe in C:\Program Files\CrashPlan from starting up and the folders no longer appear when and I reboot.  I emailed CrashPlan's tech support team and they claimed that CrashPlan does not make any changes outside of it's main directory, and that something else is conflicting with the program and causing these folders.  I don't agree but I'll just keep deleting the folders automatically when my computer boots.  Maybe you'll have better luck if you want to drop them an email.  Let me know.

Edited by ncksta, 18 January 2016 - 05:26 PM.

#4 dietrolldietroll

dietrolldietroll

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 13 February 2016 - 08:10 PM

I'm getting these same folders, and likewise, the timing appears to be after shutdown of my computer.

I also have Crashplan installed, and nothing else mentioned in the original post.  Fishy.

Edited by dietrolldietroll, 13 February 2016 - 08:11 PM.

#5 eddb

eddb

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 23 March 2016 - 07:11 AM

I have the same issue, with CrashPlan being the obvious culprit.  And I have no clue how to deal with this. Like many companies, CrashPlan claims no knowledge and does not investigate until the wave of complaints gets to a tipping point.

#6 SPYDOR

SPYDOR

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 18 April 2016 - 11:50 AM

Thanks for creating this post ncksta.

I opened a case about this with Crashplan's tech support last month, as I have also been experiencing the problem since the end of last year, with this article being the only reference I could find when I first saw it in January.  It is strange as I have been unable to find an exact trigger for the creation of the folders, despite testing many different variables.

In my case my PC backs up to the Crashplan cloud, an external drive (G:) and my laptop.  My laptop also backs up to the Crashplan cloud as well as a sub-folder on my PC's D:  It is on the root of my PC's D: that these folders have been appearing, which made me suspect it is a problem with the incoming backup routine from another computer and that changing the default incoming backup folder may be setting it off.

I can confirm that Crashplan have accepted their software is causing the issue and are actively working to resolve it.  I have provided them with several detailed logs and notes of all the troubleshooting I have performed before contacting them and would advise anybody else who is experiencing the issue to do the same, as it should help us to get a quicker resolution.

#7 Robert H.

Robert H.

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 01 March 2017 - 02:41 PM

I am also having the same issue. A folder was created last night. Looks like CrashPlan hasn't solved the issue yet. I just keep deleting them

#8 SPYDOR

SPYDOR

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 01 March 2017 - 02:49 PM

Well for my part, I haven't seen any of these folders being created for a few months now, so they must of fixed the part that was affecting my backup system.

Robert H. - I advise you to try and provide them with as much information about your backup locations, drives, folders and overall configuration to help narrow down what is causing the problem in your instance, hopefully that will help you to get a solution soon as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users