Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer shuts down. Won't recognize external HD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Oddman666

Oddman666

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:31 AM

The last few days my computer will randomly shut down. Now yesterday one of my external HD will not be recognized. Tried restarting both, trying new USB port. I really don't know what's going on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Just installed Windows 10 about a month ago.

Edited by hamluis, 09 January 2016 - 07:17 PM.
Moved from Crashes/BSODs to Win 10 Support - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 09 January 2016 - 06:12 AM

Let's try looking at these reports:

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Also, while waiting for a reply, try running these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Oddman666

Oddman666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 04:50 PM

Thanks for the reply. I have uploaded everything. Not sure which free hardware diagnostics you want me to run while I wait. There seemed to be a lot on that page. Thanks

Attached Files

Edited by Oddman666, 09 January 2016 - 04:52 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 07:26 AM

There are 6 to 8 tests on that page.

Run all of them - but start with the hard drive diagnostics (see below for my reason).

It'd be a shame if we spend weeks troubleshooting this only to discover it's a hardware problem.

As we troubleshoot, we'll narrow down the problem and will be better able to focus our diagnostics/tests.

Looking at the Admin log file, there are many, many disk errors.

If the hardware diagnostics pass, then run CHKDKS /R /F from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt.
It'll ask you if you want to reboot to run it.  Answer Yes and reboot - then let it run.

Your UEFI/BIOS (version 5.03) dates from 2009.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.

Only 5 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most build 10586 (TH2/1511) systems have more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.

You have 4 or 5 hard drives.  What is the make/model/wattage and age of your Power Supply?

Many, many Windows Live ScreenSaver errors in the WER section of MSINFO32.  Please switch your screen saver to a single image and see if that helps.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Oddman666

Oddman666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 11:39 PM

OK. I am still unclear on which hardware diagnostics to run. As for Windows updates I just went to Windows 10 and everything says that I am receiving automatic updates and everything is up to date. i don't really feel comfortable changing any BIOS settings if my computer crashes. FYI, my external hard-rive has become recognizable again and fully functioning, but computer still shuts down after some idle time. Also unsure of power supply wattage. Sorry about all this. I know a little about computers, but am by no means adept with them. Thanks for the guidance. 

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 06:22 AM

Go to this page:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Go to the line that says H/W Diagnostics

Read each line and follow the directions on that line (if it says go to another page, then click on that link and follow the directions there).

When you hit a point where you can't proceed - post back here with questions.

It's important to run hard drive diagnostics.  Even if you can't run the other diagnostics, there is evidence that there is a problem with the hard drive.

As such, you must run a hard drive diagnostic.  Here's a link to a free program that will check the hard drive from within Windows.

All you have to do is accept the agreement, then download it, install it, and run it (selecting the extended test): 

It's located here:  http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/

Beyond that, you may just want to take this to a shop and have them run the diagnostics for you.

Most shops (that I know of) will charge $50 to $70 (US) for this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users