Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Question On Cases

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mooniniteman

mooniniteman

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 11:17 AM

I was "window shopping" and I was lookingat cases and alot of them say "mobo compatablity" ATX, MicroATX, Baby-ATX etc. what does that mean? Can I still put another mobo in it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 11:27 AM

It means it is compatable with those type of motherboards. There are holes already drilled for mounting these motherboards, for instance, plus other dimensions are compatable.

Can I still put another mobo in it?

I don't know what that means.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 mooniniteman

mooniniteman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 11:45 AM

nvm. So if it doesnt say, ATX on the motherboad, then it wont fit?

#4 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 05:38 PM

It wont exaclty say ATX on the MoBo, but when you are purchasing the MB, you can choose your different types. If you (for example) choose an ATX MoBo, then you need to select a Case that will fit ATX...and vice-versa.
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 07:28 PM

Most desktops use ATX form factors, but you need the case which has the form factor for your motherboard.

Do you already have the mb?

If not, what shape and size case do you want?

#6 mooniniteman

mooniniteman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 07:39 PM

No, I'm looking what's compatible together. Then, I'm going to build it. So far I have A ton to learn about this stuff. I would appreciate all possible info I can get. I dont really know what size.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 29 July 2006 - 11:20 AM

Generally it's best to pick the mobo first - most everything revolves around it. Sometimes you'll pick the CPU first, but the mobo is then next - so it still drives a lot of your selections.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 TheEmuRider

TheEmuRider

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 29 July 2006 - 03:11 PM

Just so he is clear, ATX is not the brand of motherboard you need to use, it is the somewhat standard shape it is.

Most brands carry ATX sizes

#9 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 29 July 2006 - 05:46 PM

Most times if you have an ATX case a Mini / Micro / Baby ATX Mobo will fit in them. As in my case where I am using a Micro ATX Mobo in an ATX case. However this does not work in reverse ATX boards will not fit in an Micro / Mini / Baby ATX case the cases are much too small.
BATX cases dont work w/ any of them only BATX Mobos.

Edit: I assume Micro / Mini / Baby ATX boards are either all terms for the same size board or they are all differant sizes but use the same ATX bolt patten

Edited by BlackSpyder, 29 July 2006 - 05:48 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users