Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Okay. So... I am not sure if I'll be able to recover my system restore.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Wolffie03

Wolffie03

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:05 AM

Let me try to break down what happened during this week with as much detail as I can after something stupid I did:

• I was looking up information for an MMO game that I played when I clicked on a website, my eyes barely noticing the "this sight might be hacked" notification below it. It looked legit and I got the info I needed; closed out and realized my entire internet was down. I couldn't test if it was just me who had this problem or if any other members of my family also had the problem. At any rate, I treated it like a virus; went into safe mode, used the programs that are constantly featured here on the forums that helped me before.
  • About an hour later, I finally removed that blasted thing. Things went smoothly, but then I noticed things like a yellow triangle with an exclamation point with my google chrome account. After that was when the problems started getting bad. I also had noticed my antivirus was not starting up; even on safe mode, the antivirus was like "dead." I couldn't do anything with the icon.
  • Google Chrome stopped downloading anything and everything after constant /longer usage; this was weird and every single time I reinstalled/uninstalled, the problem would not fix itself. I could download anything else on Firefox, IE, but not Chrome.
  • Eventually, I started trying to do System Restore and I kept getting errors, so whatever it was messed up my system restore or ability to do it. I restarted my computer, etc; then realized Windows 8 kept locking me out. I couldn't do a system restore or anything so I had to hard reset. So I thought maybe I didn't take out the virus as much as I thought. So I booted up in safe mode, ran the usual programs, actually left the computer running overnight because it was getting late and I had to sleep. Found some stuff, got rid of those things; tried to run again in normal boot mode - still kept getting locked out.
  • Eventually, I got so frustrated that I chose to do a system refresh; I was not given an option to keep my files or anything. So today, I did just that; and I have my personal files, which is great - I still have my photos, documents, music, but everything else is gone. (I know my games are on my external hard drive, though.) System restores, etc. Will it be futile if I used Easy RE to see if it can get the previous system restores? It's not like I reformatted my drive. I have a windows.old file and was hoping I'd find the folder for the restores to the computer before I did that stupid thing and clicked on that damned website.

Can anyone help or answer my question if this is possible? I can't believe it got this far after one year of being virus/malware free from my computer. :/

Edited by Wolffie03, 08 January 2016 - 10:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 11:38 AM

What programs have you used to scan for viruses or malware?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Wolffie03

Wolffie03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 12:57 PM

I used Malwarebytes and E32NOD. I'm not sure if the Malware is still there because I just had a blue screen of death while my desktop was like flickering/flashing before everything stopped responding, leaving with a message like System_Thread_Exception_Not_Handled.

I also use adwcleaner, FSS (I think it was to fix my internet, but I don't know if I did that properly when it got taken down), FRST64, rkill, Hitman Pro, and Kaspersky's tdsskiller. Just oh my god. I'm panicking pretty hard right now. I don't know if I should move this to the if I have been infected area or what because I realized finding a system restore would be futile at this point; there's just simply no system restores showing at all. So right now, I'm trying to reinstall everything I can. None of my personal data was touched but idk. :/

I did realize a weird coincidence during the time I thought I had my computer cleaned after that virus took down my internet, someone from Ghanda was trying to contact me on Skype; I'm sure it was a coincidence, but the fact they found my Skype name randomly just... I don't know. I'm almost giving up at trying to salvage whatever is left of my computer. It's been frustrating me.

Edited by Wolffie03, 08 January 2016 - 01:01 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:14 PM

Boot into Safe Mode and see if the problem persists there.

How to boot into Safe Mode in Windows 8 or 8.1

Press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key together.  In the menu that opens select Search.  When the Search charm opens type in msconfig.

msconfig will appear below the search box, click/tap on it.

When System Configuration opens click/tap on the Boot tab.

Under Boot options click/tap on Safe boot, then click/tap on Apply, then OK.

The next time you start the computer it will boot into Safe Mode.

Please note.  You computer will continue to boot into Safe Mode when it is started until you go back to System Configuration and remove the check in Safe boot.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Wolffie03

Wolffie03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:17 PM

What do I do after I boot into safe mode? Do I currently stop trying to reinstall everything back? I managed to fix that annoying right click on explorer that made the blue screen of death in the first place. I was able to fix the whole flickering desktop; turned out it was something with explorer. Had to actually disable some stuff and then restart the explorer and it's working fine now. I'm just not sure about everything else.

Edited by Wolffie03, 08 January 2016 - 01:18 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:20 PM

So everything you posted in your first post has been resolved?

#7 Wolffie03

Wolffie03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:22 PM

It seems like it, but I'll keep you posted if anything else goes wrong while I try to reinstall or salvage anything.

Okay. So... my Windows 8 is performing quite slowly regarding launching games or programs. To break down how the process was salvaging things:

• Made sure my .old Windows folder had nothing important left and wiped it out;
  • I even went so far as disabling antiviruses I knew were slow on Windows 8 and installed the ones that are listed on here.
  • File explorer was running a bit slower than usual; even typing something out in the search bar was pretty slow.
  • I'm not sure if this has anything to deal with Google Chrome because I've had problems with that browser since last night; that browser was the very reason why I even did a system refresh.
  • When I launch a program like say Word or a game, it takes forever; it's not an instant takes one minute long. The program will literally hang for a bit until it loads. Not sure if that's normal because I know my computer is clean after using the usual procedures to get rid of viruses, spyware and the like.
  • I'm just at my wit's end here and am considering if just backing up what is not in my external hard drive (where everything is) and then just getting the computer wiped entirely. :/

I'm sorry but thank you for the help. You can understand my frustration working on this computer since 8 AM; now it's like 8:30 something PM. I just can't do this anymore. Unfortunately, I don't have the CD or anything, so I'm not sure if I might as well upgrade to Windows 10 at this point for free or try to find a way to reinstall Windows 8.1 but I'm not sure what's the better deal here.

Edited by Wolffie03, 08 January 2016 - 09:37 PM.

#8 TheITGUI

TheITGUI

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 09:13 AM

Windows System Restore gets compromised!?!?!?! This sounds all too familiar. I hear this all the time.

Reading the other posts you seem to be back up and running. Just so you're not caught cursing at WSR again in the near future (and I will bet my not-so-large savings account) that it will happen again. You should replace it with a 3rd party tool to recover your computer. There's a few out there, Rollback Rx being the one I use but there's a few options out there.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 09:34 AM

I don't have the CD or anything, so I'm not sure if I might as well upgrade to Windows 10 at this point for free or try to find a way to reinstall Windows 8.1 but I'm not sure what's the better deal here.

If you are having any problems with Windows 8.1 you don't want to upgrade to Windows 10 as it will have problems as well.

We never did establish whether this computer is a custom build or a OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) computer.  If it is a OEM computer you will have a Recovery Partition on the HDD which you can use to effectively reinstall the operating system.  If you do this it will return the operating system to the condition it was in when it first came out of the box.  Because of this you need to back up all of your important data to removable media, like an external HDD, a Cloud account, flash drive, DVDs,etc.

If you post the make and model of this computer I will post instructions or a link to instructions for using the Recovery Partition.

#10 Wolffie03

Wolffie03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 02:50 PM

Well, I don't mean to sound rude or anything but finally someone replied. Even after I wiped my system, I was still frustrated about the 3 days I spent trying to reinstall everything but some how screwing that up when I installed what I thought was Mozilla Firefox that was bundled with Extended Update.

Long story short: I did a fresh install once again to get rid of the problem because all of my personal files had been backed up before that. In the end, I ended up buying a new desktop that had Windows 10 as the OS. So I had no choice in the matter.

However, I personally have not experienced any issues with it. The only thing I experienced was a random restart five minutes during usage while installing some drivers for my iPod. (I use a third party program to handle my iPod.) Once I checked all solutions that included change some power settings, having the system notify me next time it installs an update and needs to restart, I haven't had any restarts happen.

However, it never said if it was a windows update or anything. It just restarted and I figured it was Windows 10 patching because of Microsoft officially not providing support for the previous OS today. So not sure if that was normal. I mean it's a clean computer. So it couldn't have been malware.

#11 Wolffie03

Wolffie03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 02:55 PM

Also, I apologize if I post twice. I'm using my phone at the moment to respond so I can't edit my post. My computer wasn't custom built. It was a retail computer, meaning the OS is already in the system, making me realize that it has a recovery type of media already. That's how I freshly installed the OS but right now, I'm having someone do a free diagnosis on that old desktop to make sure nothing is lurking despite the clean reinstall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users