Let me try to break down what happened during this week with as much detail as I can after something stupid I did:
- I was looking up information for an MMO game that I played when I clicked on a website, my eyes barely noticing the "this sight might be hacked" notification below it. It looked legit and I got the info I needed; closed out and realized my entire internet was down. I couldn't test if it was just me who had this problem or if any other members of my family also had the problem. At any rate, I treated it like a virus; went into safe mode, used the programs that are constantly featured here on the forums that helped me before.
- About an hour later, I finally removed that blasted thing. Things went smoothly, but then I noticed things like a yellow triangle with an exclamation point with my google chrome account. After that was when the problems started getting bad. I also had noticed my antivirus was not starting up; even on safe mode, the antivirus was like "dead." I couldn't do anything with the icon.
- Google Chrome stopped downloading anything and everything after constant /longer usage; this was weird and every single time I reinstalled/uninstalled, the problem would not fix itself. I could download anything else on Firefox, IE, but not Chrome.
- Eventually, I started trying to do System Restore and I kept getting errors, so whatever it was messed up my system restore or ability to do it. I restarted my computer, etc; then realized Windows 8 kept locking me out. I couldn't do a system restore or anything so I had to hard reset. So I thought maybe I didn't take out the virus as much as I thought. So I booted up in safe mode, ran the usual programs, actually left the computer running overnight because it was getting late and I had to sleep. Found some stuff, got rid of those things; tried to run again in normal boot mode - still kept getting locked out.
- Eventually, I got so frustrated that I chose to do a system refresh; I was not given an option to keep my files or anything. So today, I did just that; and I have my personal files, which is great - I still have my photos, documents, music, but everything else is gone. (I know my games are on my external hard drive, though.) System restores, etc. Will it be futile if I used Easy RE to see if it can get the previous system restores? It's not like I reformatted my drive. I have a windows.old file and was hoping I'd find the folder for the restores to the computer before I did that stupid thing and clicked on that damned website.
Can anyone help or answer my question if this is possible? I can't believe it got this far after one year of being virus/malware free from my computer. :/
Edited by Wolffie03, 08 January 2016 - 10:11 AM.