Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thunderbird acting up again.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 09:58 AM

I recently re-installed Win 10 and Firefox and Thunderbird. For the first several months Thunderbird acted like it is supposed to.

I could highligt [chose] an e-mail and get options to archive; delte; mark as junk etc. Without opening the e-mail.

Now it has started automatically opening the e-mail in it's preview pane. You now have to [click] open the e-mail to be able to get the delete option to show up at all. To me a dangereous thing.  Now I have not changed any settings at all. Even the structure of the page has changed a little.

Since I did not take a screen shot when it was working correctly I have nothing to compare it too now.

As far as turning the preview pane on or off I find no such option in my settings at all.

Thank you for any ideas on this matter.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 11:10 AM

Uncheck "Message Pane".  :wink:

G82Q2Ya.png

Greets!

#3 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 11:56 AM

Thank you now how do I get what you get.lol?
This is my start page. Nutzzz can not attach a snip.

Well my page does not have that tool bar.http://imgur.com/VpHLK0d

Edited by dannyboy950, 08 January 2016 - 12:05 PM.

#4 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 12:29 PM

Right click in the white space above Address Book and check "Menu Bar".  :wink:

Greets!

#5 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 02:43 PM

Thank you. I am not shure now that that accomplished what I thought it would.  I just seemed to add another step in viewing my e-mails. lol

Most of these help forums say [and rightfully so] not to open suspicious e-mails but then also say harmfull stuff can also be delivered in many other ways as well.

My concern is if an e-mail contains anything simply opening the e-mail can launch the exploit.

Without being able to view the entire address header to know whether or not the e-mail is from the sender you expect it to be, how do you determin if it is a suspicious e-mail or not something from a legitamate sender.

When I first installed thunderbird. I could highlite the e-mail without actually opening it. Decide if it needed to be deleted or not.

That option is now only available for me on this pc by actually opening the e-mail. If it contains a payload, bammm it launches.

#6 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 03:34 PM

You can highlight the desired mail with a single click, a right click gives a whole menu with everything you could do with it and a double click opens the mail. Pretty simple and secure if you ask me...

Check also the other settings via "Edit" "Preferences" "Display" "Advanced", there are some settings about the opening of mails that could make it like you wish.

Greets!

#7 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 09:52 PM

I have 4 times tried to clarify what I meant but for some reason my posts will not post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users