Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd Blue Screen problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 frnorth

frnorth

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 09:49 AM

I am not sure if this is a virus, or possibly a video card driver problem.

When I log into windows on either my account or onto my sons account I get a blank screen. 

The machine boots up fine, and I can log into safe mode on either account. But if I try to log in normally I get to the password page, enter the password and as soon as I would normally go to the desktop instead the screen goes solid blue (solid blue when I log onto his account, black if I log into mine.)

Now I can still see activity on the HDD light flashing as if something is going on, but the keyboard locks up and I have no mouse cursor. 

I tried to roll back about a week, but I get the message "missing files" so I am not able to roll back, and booting onto the Win7 disk I tried the repair function and I got the message unable to repair and the suggestion I should roll back. So I am sort of stuck. Is there a known virus that would cause this? or does this sound more like a driver malfunction?

I repeat I can log into safe mode just fine, but I believe the PC uses generic drivers for the video card in safe mode.

I was working on this last night so I am at work right now, but I wanted to get a couple of idea's from the pros before I try to go back and tackle it. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 12:21 PM

Safe Mode does indeed use a native Windows graphics driver.

Please post the make and model of this computer.

If this is a custom build, please post the make and model of the motherboard and the GPU if it is using a dedicated board.

Please boot into Safe Mode to run the two scans below.

Please run System File Checker

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png and then type cmd in the Search programs and files box.

In the pane above the search box Programs will appear with cmd below it, right click on cmd and select Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.

This will open the Elevated Command Prompt, it will look similar to the image below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

Copy and paste sfc /scannow in the command prompt, then press Enter to start the scan.  

If the scan finds no integrity  problems the scan will stop.  Type in exit, then press Enter to stop the scan.

When the scan is finished and if intergrity issues are found, please do the following.

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png then copy and paste the following in the Search programs and files box.

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled sfcdetails.  Double click on this icon to  
the CBS log, copy and paste the log in your topic.

If this fails to place the icon on your desktop run the command from the Command Prompt.  Use the instructions I provided at the start of this tutorial.

This log may be very large, if you have problems posting it try breaking it into smaller parts.  When you copy these parts you will highlight the section you are going to copy.  If you leave that section highlighted it will give you a quick reference for where you left off.

================

Please run chkdsk /r

Chkdsk /r checks for bad sectors on the HDD and recovers any readable information.

Attention:  If this is a SSD do not run the /r switch, instead run chkdsk /f.

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png, then type in cmd in the Search programs and files box.  When cmd is seen in Programs above the Search box right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

You will see a screen similar to the one below.

Screenshot2.jpg

Copy and paste chkdsk /r in the command prompt, then press Enter.  Please note:   

You will receive the message "CHKDSK cannot be run because it is in use by another process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?  <Y/N>".

Type in Y and press Enter.

Restart your computer to start the scan.

This will take a while to run, please be patient and allow it to complete the scan.

When the scan is finished please download and run ListChkdskResult.

This will open Notepad with the results of the chkdsk scan.  Please copy and then paste this log in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 frnorth

frnorth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 12:30 PM

Very good, I will do this today. Thank you sincerely for your valuable time.

Edit: This is indeed a custom build, I will have to check for the MB model. I believe it is a gigabyte brand but it's about 4 years old so I will need to confirm make and model.  

Edited by frnorth, 08 January 2016 - 12:33 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 10 January 2016 - 11:04 AM

Let us know how it goes.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 frnorth

frnorth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2016 - 02:35 PM

I apologize for not updating sooner. The problem was a faulty video card. The card would fault out if I tried to use the correct driver, but disabling the driver the computer would boot normally into Windows. I replaced the video card and everything is operational again.

I really appreciate this website and the volunteers who contribute.

Thank you all and have a great new year. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users